▪ Minority, Racial and Ethnic Groups
Minority - A subordinate group whose members have significantly less control or power over their lives than members of a dominant or majority group.
Characteristics of a Minority Group
▪ Distinguishing physical or cultural traits, e.g. skin color or language
▪ Unequal Treatment and Less Power over their lives
▪ Involuntary membership in the group (no personal choice)
▪ Awareness of subordination and strong sense of group solidarity
▪ High In-group Marriage
Types of Minority Group
Racial Group- Groups who are classified according to obvious physical characteristics, e.g. skin color
~ US Racial Minority Groups: Blacks, American Indian, Asian Americans, Hawaiians
Ethnic Group - Groups who are differentiated on the basis of culture such as language, food.
~ US Ethnic Minority Groups: Hispanics or Latinos such as Chicanos, Puerto Ricans, Cuban; Jews are also consider cultural minorities instead of religious minorities.
▪ Prejudice and Discrimination
Prejudice- an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason.
~Ethnocentrism- the tendency to assume that one’s own culture and way of life represent norm or are superior to all others.
Discrimination- unfair treatment of a person, racial group, minority, etc; action based on prejudice or other arbitrary reason.
• Institutional Discrimination- refers to the denial of opportunities and equal rights to individuals and groups that result from the normal operations of a society.
Various forms of institutional discrimination:
Rules requiring that only English be spoken at a place of work, even when its not a business necessity to restrict the use of other languages.
Preferences shown by law and medical schools in the admission of children of wealthy and influential alumni, nearly all of whom are White....
Please join StudyMode to read the full document