E1 Integration of promotion into the marketing mix
In order to meet the grading criteria for M1 learners need to explain how promotion is integrated with the rest of the marketing mix in a selected organisation to achieve its marketing aims and objectives. Learners will need to have a thorough understanding of the marketing mix and then be able to apply it to the marketing aims and objectives of their selected organisation. Learners could complete the following activity to help them achieve these criteria.
Marketing aims and objectives are the targets that are specifically set for the marketing department in order to help the business achieve its corporate aims and objectives, i.e. the aims and objectives for the business as a whole.
1. Research a company that you are familiar with, for example, Walkers crisps. What do you think are the business aims and objectives of the company?
2. Investigate the type of promotions that your chosen company undertakes as a part of the marketing mix, for example, television advertising. Explain how the promotions that your chosen company uses relates to other elements of the marketing mix by answering the following questions.
How does promotion affect price?
How does promotion affect product?
How does promotion affect place?
3. How does the integration of all elements of the marketing mix help the company meet its corporate aims and objectives?
E2 Evaluate and justify promotional mix
In order to meet the grading criteria for D1 learners must evaluate and justify the use of an appropriate promotional mix in relation to marketing objectives for the selected organisation. Learners should start by stating the marketing objectives of the company and then carry out the following activity.
1. Write a paragraph about the strengths of your chosen promotional mix. Which element of the promotion mix is the strongest?
2. Write a paragraph about the weaknesses of your chosen promotional mix. Which element of