1. What are rocky shores? They are big rocks that are exposed at low tide 2. How are organisms on a rocky shore distributed? By the horizontal zones that relate to the tolerance of the species to either exposure to air or under water. 3. What three types of bedrock are typically found in a rocky shore ecosystem? Rocky shores, sandy shores, and salt marsh 4. What are the different zones of the rocky shore? Upper = splash, middle = littoral, lower = sub littoral. 5. What plants are found in each zone? Be specific on listing them Splash: Lichens
Middle: Brown rock weeds
Lower: Calcareous algae
6. What is the name of a plant-like species found in rocky shores? Algae and Lichens 7. In which zone of the rocky shore would you most likely find only grasses and patches of lichens? 8. What animals may be found in each zone?—be specific on listing them Upper: Rough periwinkle
Middle: Rough periwinkle, smooth periwinkle
Lower: Periwinkle, Limpets, and Green sea urchins
9. What type of animal uses the rocky shore for their 'feeding' grounds? 10. What factors shape the rocky shore?
Use this resource
11. Some Animal Adaptations to answer question 11.
12. What special features of adaptations do each of these organisms living in the rocky shore have which enable to survive this type of environment? Seaweeds (4)
Sea Squirts (use the next resource link to find out about sea squirts) Use this resource
13. Rocky Shore Ecosystem Areas to answer questions 12-13.
14. What kind of 'resources' do organisms on a rocky shore compete for? Think about the physical factors that fluctuate for the rocky shore organisms. 15. Describe these three areas of the rocky shore:
Please join StudyMode to read the full document