1) There are 55 countries in Africa.
2) Africa is about 3 and ½ times the size of the United States. 3) South Africa is at the southern most tip in Africa.
4) Madagascar is the largest island in Africa.
5) The four major language families identified are Afro-Asiatic, Niger-Congo, Nilo-Saheran and Khoisan. 6) Lying astride the equator and extending almost equal distance to the north and south of the equator. 7) Algeria is the largest country in Africa.
8) Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa.
9) Nigeria has more than 300 different language groups.
10) Lake Victoria is the world’s second largest fresh water lake. 11) The Nile River is the world’s longest river.
12) The Congo River is the world’s 10th longest and second most voluminous river in the world. 13) Victoria Falls is Africa’s most famous single cataract. 14) The Sahara Desert is nearly as large as the continental United States. 15) Somalia is at the tip of the Horn of Africa.
16) The Namib and Kalahari Deserts of Southern Africa cover much of modern Namibia and Botswana. 17) Less than 10 percent of the continent’s landscape can be classified as tropical rainforest or “jungle”, 18) In 2011, Africa’s population was nearly 1.05 Billion people. 19) Africa’s population density is about 32 people per square kilometer. 20) The vast majority of Southern Africans have traditionally spoken Bantu languages. 21) The Population Reference Bureau projects the African population to be 1.4 Billion by the year 2025 and 2.3 Billion by the year 2050. 22) The word tribe caries a connotation of being uncivilized, dangerous, uncontrolled which they consider being a derogatory term to classify them. 23) Africa’s most widespread language family is the Niger-Congo. 24) The most widely spoken language in the northern third of Africa is Arabic. 25) The most widely spoken Bantu language in East and Central Africa is Kiswahili.
Please join StudyMode to read the full document