You are a passenger on a cruise ship. While in the pacific, there is a violent storm and the ship starts to sink. All of the passengers are directed towards the lifeboats. Each lifeboat contains fifteen items (see the list below).
As a group of passengers in the lifeboat you have to come to an agreement over the ranking list of the 15 objects.
Here are guidelines to use to reach a consensus
Avoid arguing for you own individual judgements. Approach the activity on the basis of logic.
Avoid changing your mind if it is only to reach agreement and avoid conflict. Support only solutions with which you are able to agree at least somewhat.
Avoid 'conflict reducing' techniques such as majority voting, averaging, or trading in reaching your decision.
View differences of opinion as a help rather than a hindrance in decision making.
1 = Most important 15 = Least important
No equal rankings
1. Sextant (a device used for celestial navigation)
2. Shaving Mirror
3. Five gallon can of water
4. Mosquito netting
5. One case of army rations
6. Maps of the Pacific Ocean
7. Seat cushion (flotation device approved by the Coast Guard)
8. Two gallon can of oil/petrol mixture
9. Small transistor radio (receives radio stations only – not a transmitter)
10. Shark repellent
11. 20 square feet of opaque plastic
12. 15 feet of nylon rope
13. 2 boxes of chocolate bars
14. Fishing kit
15. 1 quart of 160 proof Puerto Rican rum