Literature expresses the feelings of the people to the society to the government Literature – as a faithful reproduction of man’s manifold experiences blended into one harmonious expression. Literature can be said to be the story of man’s loves griefs, thoughts, dreams and aspirations coached in beautiful language. Literature - deals with ideas thoughts & emotions of man or printed matter written within a book, magazine, pamphlet. Reasons for study literature?
1. We study literature so that we can better appreciate our literary heritage 2. We cannot appreciate something that we do not understand through a study of our literature 3. We can trace the rich heritage of ideas handed down to us from our forefather. 4. Then we can understand ourselves better & take pride in being a Filipino The following time frames for purposes
1. The period of re-orientation: 1898-1910
2. The period of limitation: 1910-1925
3. Period of self-discovery: 1925-1941
4. Japanese period: 1941-1945
5. The rebirth of freedom: 1946-1970
6. Period of activism: 1970-1972
7. Period of the society: 1972-1981
8. Period of the third republic: 1981-1985
9. Contemporary period: 1985
Prose - consists of those written within the common flow of conversation in sentence & paragraphs. Poetry-refers to the those expressions in verse with measure & rhyme line, stanza, & has a more melodious tone. Type of prose – novels, biographies, short stories, contemporary, dramas, legends, fables, essay, anecdotes, news, speeches. Type of lyric poetry
1. Folksong - short poems intended to be sung
2. Sonnets - have a 14 line dealing w/emotion feelings or ideas. 3. Elegy – lyric poem w/expressing feelings
4. Ode – poem of noble feeling expressing w/dignity
Psalms - is a song praising God or the Virgin Mary
Awit – 12 syllables and slowly sung.
Corridos – have 8 syllables & recited to a martial beat.
Please join StudyMode to read the full document