Legacy/Children of Alumni Assignment
Read Chapter 9a.
Answer questions 1-8 below in number format (not essay) on “ONE MORE TIME” Legacies/Children of Alumni on p. 403. To make sure you have the correct essay, it begins with “I know a lot of people who whine and complain about the children of alumni…..”
Note: Do NOT answer the questions on any other story or a zero will be given.
1. What’s the issue at hand (question at issue)?
• The issue at hand is that people are complaining about children of the alumni’s having easier times getting into Cromwell. • Why not add alumni children to the list of favorable treatment in admission process?
2. Is it significant?
• It is significant because alumni’s keep the colleges going by providing money that they donate to the school to help support the activities on and off campus during the school semesters. • Yes I do feel this is significant to me because, one day I shall become an alumnus as well. If the university I become an alumnus at decides to restrict the admission of the college, then I would hope my children would get special privileges.
3. a. List the claims being made (you need to find 6 + claims) • The average applicant at Cromwell has one in ten chance of being admitted but alumni children have a four in ten chance • Legacy applicants (alumni) are more likely to do well when they get to Cromwell, because they understand what college is all about • Alumnis will not transfer to another school
• If your parents graduated from Cromwell, that means they must have been smart – Which means that you’re smart too • They know the old traditions and have stronger feeling about school pride • The more of a family tradition you have of being connected to the school, the more likely you are to make major financial contributions.
b. Is there a factual basis to the...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document