APPLIED LEADERSHIP AND DEVELOPMENT
Please complete the following assignment and mail it with the copy of the assignment to be marked and for comments. Please use your discretion to determine the length of your answer. Keep the following criteria in mind: Did I demonstrate my knowledge and insight? Will the tutor be satisfied that I can apply the information (Skills)? Write answers in your own words as far as possible and refrain from copying from text books/handouts.
1. Define: Leadership.
* The process of influencing people while operating to meet organizational requirements and improving the organization through change.
2. Name the five practices of exemplary leadership.
* Model the way
* Inspire a shared vision
* Challenge the Process
* Enable other to act
* Encourage the heart
3. Explain the relationship between management, vision and planning. * Management involves all the undertakings require planning, organizing, command, coordination and control to function properly, by focusing on producing change by developing a vision for the future along with strategies for bringing about the changes needed to achieve that vision.
4. Does every manager need to be a leader? Explain.
* All good managers are leaders to various degrees. They need to carry out their leaders' visions by creating their own visions that support the larger vision, and then getting their workers to accomplish the vision. For example, Howard Schultz, of Starbucks Coffee Company, had a vision of 2000 stores by the year 2000. This vision became one of the driving forces behind the company's success. Did Howard Schultz build those 2000 stores himself? No way! Schultz's vision was achieved by managers and supervisors throughout the organization who had smaller scale visions that directly supported his 2000 by 2000 vision. They got these visions accomplished by delegating the means and authority to their subordinates. These managers and supervisors also supported their employees by giving them the means and opportunity to grow by coaching and mentoring; and providing training, development, and education opportunities. * A CEO cannot be the sole leader of a large organization. There are simply to many leadership tasks that must be accomplished... a leader cannot do all of them herself.
5. It has been identified that there are 6 Pillars of Character that are important to adopting and ethical perspective in leadership development. Can you name four of the six? a) Trustworthiness, Respect, Responsibility, Fairness, Caring and Citizenship b) Ruthlessness, Drive, Determination, Toughness, Supportive, Action oriented c) Supportive, Intelligent, Insightful, Good Communicator, Toughness, Fair d) Caring, Softness, Intelligent, Decisive, Team Player, Communicator
* The ability to think about or plan the future with imagination or wisdom:the organization had lost its vision and direction * Mission
* a strongly felt aim, ambition, or calling: his main mission in life has been to cut unemployment * Strategy
* A plan of action or policy designed to achieve a major or overall aim. * The art of planning and directing overall military operations and movements in a war or battle * Leadership Values.
* Leaders know what they value. They also recognize the importance of ethical behaviour. The best leaders exhibit both their values and their ethics in their leadership style and actions. Your leadership ethics and values should be visible because you live them in your actions every single day.
7. What concepts of leadership are important to explain the difference in focus of leadership compared to management? * Leadership and management must go hand in hand, however they are NOT identical. Both are needed and they are linked and complement each other....
Please join StudyMode to read the full document