DEPARTMENT ENGLISH PREP LEVEL B (SUMMER TERM) WORKSHEET NO: 5 KEY JULY 3, 2009
PART A: GRAMMAR & USE OF ENGLISH
TASK 1: Rewrite the sentences. Use the words in capital letters. Do not change the meaning of the original sentences.
1. It will probably rain, then I will stay at home. (IF)
I will STAY AT HOME IF IT RAINS.
2. You were careless so you made a lot of mistakes. (HADN’T) If YOU HADN’T BEEN CARELESS, YOU WOULDN’T HAVE MADE A LOT OF MISTAKES.
3. I am so sorry that I can’t help you. (COULD)
If ONLY I COULD HELP YOU.
4. “Our teacher has given a very difficult exam”. (COMPLAINED) The students COMPLAINED THAT THEIR TEACHER HAD GIVEN A VERY DIFFICULT EXAM.
5. I feel sad because I didn’t study hard enough. (WISH)
I WISH I HAD STUDIED HARD ENOUGH.
6. I started learning English three years ago. (SINCE)
I have BEEN LEARNING ENGLISH SINCE 2006.
7. “Did you visit your relatives on your holiday?” (IF)
My friend wanted to know IF I HAD VISITED MY RELATIVES ON MY HOLIDAY.
8. The people left the cinema before the film finished . (ALREADY) By the time THE FILM FINISHED THE PEOPLE HAD ALREADY LEFT THE CINEMA.
TASK 2: Complete the text with the correct forms of the words in brackets.
You have been brought to this 0___courtroom___ (court) today because of your long history of criminal behaviour. You have been involved in several 1 __BURGLARIES_ (burglar) and show no shame in what you have done. You are a 2__SELFISH_ (self) person who cares nothing for other people. You are 3__INSENSITIVE__ (sense) to their suffering and 4__UNSYMPHATETIC__ (sympathy) to their losses due to your actions. You do not only rob the 5_WEALTHY_ (wealth) but also your friends and neighbours. You have also shown yourself to be 6__AGGRESSIVE_ (aggression). If it wasn’t for the 7__BRAVERY_ (brave) of the police officers who arrested you, you would, no doubt, still be committing crimes. We cannot 8___TOLERATE__ (tolerant) such behaviour in a civilized society and because of the 9___FAILURE_ (fail) of previous, non-prison sentences and your 10__INABILITY__ (able) to lead a normal, productive life, I have no hesitation in sending you to prison for five years.
TASK 3: Some of these sentences have mistakes. Find and correct them. Tick (ü) those sentences that are correct.
I haven’t seen anyone since ages.______for___
1. I don’t usually believe what he says.___√____________ 2. Tom and Jane want to sort out their problems themselves.___√___________ 3. I never would say anything in class when I was younger.___USED TO___ 4. You don’t have to install this but I think it would be a good idea.__√_____________ 5. What do you think I ought do now?_____OUGHT TO____
6. There won’t probably be any meteorites hitting the earth this year. PROBABLY WON’T 7. If he breaks the law again, he will go to prison.____√___________ 8. I wouldn’t have said anything if you told me not to.___HAD TOLD____ 9. I wish I worked harder when I was at school.___HAD WORKED_____ 10. If only we had enough money for some food.__√______ 11. Chris and I met ourselves three years ago.__EACH OTHER__ 12. We often watch the sun going down.___√____
13. If only I installed a virus checker on my computer._HAD INSTALLED__ 14. Phil has been here for as long as I can remember.___√___ 15. I wish I am somewhere else right now.__WAS/WERE__
16. You mustn’t open any attachments without asking me first.____√__ 17. I’ve never could understand why people break the law._BEEN ABLE TO_ 18. It will probably be cold so take a jumper.___√__
19. If the hurricane will hit the town, it will cause terrible problems.___HITS__ 20. If I had been the judge, I would have sentenced him to 20 years in prison.__√_
TASK 4: Circle the correct words....
Please join StudyMode to read the full document