Activity 1.1 Minerals: Building Blocks of Rock
1. In your own words, list the 5 characteristics an Earth material must have in order to be considered a mineral. a. ______________________________
2. Check the appropriate boxes to show which of the following items are minerals or not minerals. If not a mineral, explain why it is not. MINERAL?
Activity 1.2 Luster
1. Examine the luster of the minerals and place the letters that corresponds to the luster exhibited. Quartz _________
Native copper _________
1. Name the physical property described by each of the following statements. 3. Breaks along smooth planes ______________________________________ 4. Scratches glass_________________________________________________ 5. Shines like a metal ______________________________________________ 6. Scratching produces a red powder _________________________________ 7. Looks like broken glass __________________________________________ 8. 4. What physical feature most distinguishes biotite mica from muscovite mica? _________________ 9. If a mineral can be scratched by a penny but not by a human fingernail, what is its hardness on Mohs scale? ____________________ 11. Use the mineral identification key (Fig. 1.24) to identify a mineral that is nonmetallic, dark colored, harder than glass, lacks cleavage, and is green in color. __________________________ 9.
12. For each mineral below, list at least one diagnostic property. (Refer to Fig. 1.23 or Fig. 1.24) a. Halite _____________________________________________
b. Galena ____________________________________________
Please join StudyMode to read the full document