Kinship Care

Topics: Family, Kinship, Kinship terminology Pages: 3 (850 words) Published: December 2, 2009
Kinship care is defined as foster care. The term is currently used to define out of home placement. Kinship care is not considered to be a permanent solution; it’s more of a temporary solution. Relative adoptions however function a bit differently. Legislation requires relative care givers to meet the same licensing standards as non- relative caregivers, although the same services are not provided. Generally relative caregivers are not provided with the same financial support that non- relative caregivers are. Non-relative care givers are not provided with the same stipend as relative care givers. Ultimately the level of support is bent on state funds which happen to vary from state to state. Non- relative caregivers are thus forced to accept TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families). TANF does not provide families with the necessary services such as educational, mental, health, counseling and childcare. Informal adoptions have become more prominent in today’s society. They are continuously expanding in the African American community. Currently there are over 2 million African American children that are being raised by grandparents, aunts, uncles and other extended family members. Although this number has increased greatly the majority of these children still remain outside the child welfare system. 20 percent of black children who are being raised by relatives are in foster care and the other 80 percent remain in informal adoptions. In 1997 the Adoption and Safe Families Act was passed. This act required states to initiate or join proceeding to terminate parental rights for parents whose children had been in 15 months, except in situations where the child was placed with relatives, or if termination of parental rights were not in the best interest of the child. In most states the mandate relating to termination of parental right is solely recognized while the second part regarding placing children with relatives is not. Studies have shown that the level...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Kinship Essay
  • A Different Kind of Kinship Research Paper
  • Kinship Systems: Inuit of the Artic Essay
  • Essay on Australian Aborigines and Their Complex Kinship
  • Kinship: Sociology and Aboriginal People Essay
  • Kinship Systems of the San's Essay
  • The Socio-Cultural Impact on Love, Marriage, and Kinship Research Paper
  • Essay on Kinship as a Mechanism for Social Integrating

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free