Part One: Multiple Choice: Circle the correct answer.
1. The speeches that Antony and Brutus gave at the funeral are both: a. soliloquies b. asides c. monologues d. dialogues
2. From the events in the play, one can determine that the political mood and behavior of the Roman populace can best be termed- a. unswervingly patriotic and firm b. discontented and angry c. cowardly and timid d. fickle and changeable
3. Which of the following words describes Cassius? a. envious b. ambitious c. patriotic d. none of the above.
4. Why do the conspirators want Brutus to be their leader? a. Brutus is clear-headed and shrewd b. Brutus will be a popular leader for the Roman people c. Brutus’s reputation will bring respect to their cause d. Cassius and the other conspirators are timid and indecisive people
5. Which of the following is the BEST example of dramatic irony? a. Brutus thinks that many citizens of Rome have sent him letters b. Caesar believes he is surrounded by friends and says to Cinna, Metellus, and Trebonius, “Good friends, go in and taste some wine with me/ and we (like friends) will straight away go together.” c. Caesar says, “What can be avoided/ Whose end is purposed by the mighty gods.” d. Caesar falls in death at the base of Pompey’s statue.
6. Why is Cassius NOT considered a tragic hero? a. He is greedy and dishonest rather than noble. b. He is a cowardly soldier rather than a brave one. c. His death is not sad because he wanted to die. d. He feels guilty because he knows the murder of Caesar was wrong.
7. Which two words does Antony repeat in the funeral oration? a. ambitious and honorable b. Roman and freedom-loving c. benevolent and kind d. ambitious and tyrant
8. The first months of the joint reign of Antony, Lepidus, and young Octavius are marked by a. constant battles b. a return to democratic rule