Assignment 1 '' ANSWER KEY
Chapter 1: A View of Life?
Multiple Choice (15 Questions = 5 points each)
1) The binomial name Notorcytes typhlops refers to the taxonomic levels:
A) class and order B) genus and species C) kingdom and phylum D) order and phylum
2) Select the smallest, least inclusive taxonomic level among the following choices:
A) class B) genus C) order D) family
3) Select the largest, most inclusive taxonomic level among the following choices:
A) class B) order C) domain D) phylum
4) Each is a general characteristic of life EXCEPT:
A) the ability to respond B) reproduction and development C) organization D) classification
5) The lowest level of organization to have the characteristics of life is the _________ level.
A) atomic B) cellular C) molecular D) population
6) The term metabolism refers best to:
A) chemical and energy transformations B) maintenance of internal conditions C) the ability to respond to stimuli D) the lack of reproduction
7) Plants are unique among living things in that they are:
A) multicellular and absorb food B) unicellular and ingest food C) mulitcellular and photosynthesize D) all of these are correct
8) Ferns belong to the kingdom:
A) Animalia B) Fungi C) Plantae D) Protista
9) Changes in _____________ account for the species to evolve.
A) physical factors B) ecosystems C) genes D) sunlight
10) Through evolution, populations can:
A) adapt to the environment B) change their level of organization C) fail to reproduce D) eliminate cell structure
11) Which of these associations is incorrect?
A) data '' factual information B) hypothesis '' final conclusion C) both are correct D) none of them are correct