By Kayla Cornwell &
Jamaica is a country that located
in the Caribbean Sea.
• Jamaica is part of a chain of
islands called the Greater
It is 4,244 square miles.
• The capital of Jamaica is
Kingston, which is also it’s
• Population : 2,930,050
The Blue Mountains are the
Longest mountain range in Jamaica.
It’s highest point reaches 7,402 feet.
Very fancy coffee is produced on this
Mountain. Blue Mountain coffee is
The Black River is one of Jamaica’s
● The indigenous people of Jamaica came from
● Christopher Columbus claimed the land for
Spain in 1494 but in the seventeenth century
it was won by. Britain.
● During this period sugar was in high demand
so they imported slaves from Africa to work
Religion and Culture
● The predominant religion in Jamaica is
● There culture of Jamaica is a blend of British
and African as a result of British rule
Jamaican meals are usually a relaxing time to socialize
with family. Families usually pray before and after
meals, and eating outside is very popular.
• Bob Marley ; (1945-1981) know
for his career in music. He was a
big part in the development of
reggae music and has sold more
than 75 million records
• Usain Bolt ; aka " lightning bolt "
know for his achievements in track
and field . He is widely regarded as
the fastest person in the world.
Weather in Jamaica
● The hottest months are the summer months of
July and August. The average temperature for
the summer is 88°
● The coolest times in Jamaica are the winter
months of December to February. The average
temperature at this time is 75 °F.
● Despite the mild temperatures year round,
the Jamaica national bobsleigh team has
qualified for the Olympics many years.
● Is a parliamentary democracy
● The queen of England is head of state. Based
on recommendation of the prime minister they
appoint a governor represents the queen.
● The prime minister is elected every five years.
● Adult Literacy Rate- 82% Male 92% Female
● Life Expectancy- 72 Male 77 Female
● Infant Mortality Rate- 14 per 1,000 births
● GDP per capita- $9,000
● Currency- Jamaican dollar
● Currency exchange rate- 1 US dollar =
113.150 Jamaican dollar
When in Jamaica be sure to check
• Dolphin cove ; a place where your
can swim and interact with
dolphins and stingrays in there
• The Bob Marley museum; a whole
museum dedicated to reggae
musician Bob Marley
• National Heroes Park; a large
botanical garden in Kingston that
features many monuments and is a
burial site of many of Jamaica's
"Food in Every Country." Food in Jamaica. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Nov. 2014.
"Jamaica - Language, Culture, Customs and Etiquette." The Translation Agency For A Complete Professional Translation Service. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Nov. .
Citations: "Food in Every Country." Food in Jamaica. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Nov.
"Jamaica - Language, Culture, Customs and Etiquette." The Translation
Agency For A Complete Professional Translation Service. N.p., n.d.
Web. 27 Nov. .
Please join StudyMode to read the full document