The objective of this experiment is to extract caffeine from tea bags using the method of extraction. After the caffeine is extracted it is then compared to the nutritional facts amount per serving on the tea bags box.
1. 50.0 m L graduated cylinder
2. 150.0 mL beaker
3. 2-glass stirring rod
4. 6-test tubes
5. 2-glass pipettes
6. 2-50.0 mL Erlenmeyer flasks
7. glass funnel
1. hot plate (Corning PC-420P)
2. electronic scale (S/N: 8330280171)
3. stapler with at least 2 staples
4. test tube rack
5. hot plate tile
7. 7-rubber stoppers
8. centrifuge (Becton Dickinson; Clay Adams Brand Compact II Centrifuge)
9. metal spatula
10. hot glove
11. masking tape
13. safety glasses
14. halogenated waste container
15. fume hood
1. weighing boat
2. filter paper (Double Rings qualitative 9.0 cm CAT# 1101090)
3. nitrile gloves
4. paper towels
Chemical Formula Structure Manufacturer Lot #
Methylene Chloride CH2Cl2 ScholAR Chemistry 200935103
Sodium Sulfate Na2SO4 Fisher Science Education AD-914613
Distilled Water H2O WCCC N/A
Black Tea Bags N/A N/A Tetley N/A
Procedure: Part A:
1. Plug in hot plate and set to 220.0 oC
2. While waiting for the hot plate to heat up, measure 50.0 mL of distilled water in a 50.0 mL graduated cylinder. Pour into a 150.0 mL beaker.
3. Place the 150.0 mL beaker from step 2 on the hot plate to begin heating the distilled water.
4. Put a weighing boat on an electric scale and tare it.
5. Remove staples from the 2 tea bags and pour the tea into the weighing boat from step 4. Record the mass of the tea.
6. Evenly distribute the tea back into the tea bags and staple them closed.
7. Put the tea bags into the 150.0 mL beaker on the hot plate so that they are in the hot water.
Bibliography: Caffeine. (n.d.). Retrieved November 8, 2012, from www.chemicalformula.org: http://www.chemicalformula.org/caffeine D. Pavia, G. L. (2011). A Small-scale Approach to Organic Laboratory Techniques. Mary Finch. Tetley. (n.d.). Tetley Tea FAQ. Retrieved November 6, 2012, from Tetley Tea: http://tetleyusa.com/Over-a-cuppa/tetley-tea-faq