College of Technology London
NAME: Navneet Kaur Dhatt
STUDENT ID: 099646-84
MODULE CODE: BRM (MEP/MBA)
SUBJECT: BUSINESS RESEARCH METHODS
LECTURER: Jaishree Chaturvedi
SUBMITTED ON: 22/08/2010
Table of Content
|Sr. No. |Contents |Page No. | |1 | Proposed Working Title |3 | |2 |Research Background |3 | |3 |Rationale |3 | |4 |Research Objectives |4 | |5 |Research Questions |5 | |6 | Literature Review |5 | |7 |Methodology |6 | |7.1 |Research Design |6 | |7.2 |Data Collection Methods |6 | |7.3 |Data Analysis |7 | |8 |Timeline |8 | |9 |References |8 | |10 |Bibliography |10 |
1. Research title: Is Immigration a boon or curse for U.K.?
2. Research Background:
Humans immigrate to one country from another country because of a number of reasons. Sometimes they are forced to immigrate due to conflict or to avoid persecution, while sometimes they simply move for better prospects. Such movement of people in large numbers causes many problems.
Immigration to the UK since 1922 has been mainly from former colonies of the British Empire like India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, South Africa, Kenya, Honk Kong. People from these countries immigrated to UK under the British Nationality Law. Many other people immigrated to UK as asylum seekers under the United Nations 1951 Refugee convention. Still some emigrated from the European Union (EU) member countries through one of the EU’s Four Freedoms.
Foreign immigrants arrive at the rate of half a million per year or in other words nearly one immigrant per minute. The net immigration in UK during the year 2008 was 163000. About half the population increase in UK between 1991-2001 census was due to foreign immigration.
The main focus in this proposal will be to consider the economic and social impact of immigration to UK. The various economic benefits to UK will be studied and the social impact on UK’s society will also be analyzed.
The main objective of this proposal is to compare the advantages and disadvantages of immigration to UK and then conclude whether immigration is a boon or curse for UK. I would like to carry out STEP analysis and try to focus on impact of economical and social factors on immigration in UK.
Having seen the huge number of immigrants every year to UK from all over the world and seeing the various problems faced by the local people in UK, it was a known fact that the Blair Government was going to be in trouble. This proposal will provide some recommendations for controlling immigration in UK. This proposal...
References: 1. Kotler, P., and Keller, (1998) Marketing Management, London.
2. Saunders, M., Lewis, P, Thornhill, A., (1997) Research Methods for Business Students, London, Pitman Publishing.
3. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7048205.stm accessed on 22nd August, 2010.
4. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3266855.stm accessed on 20th August, 2010.
5. http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_rights/immigration/help_with_immigration_problems.htm accessed on 22nd August, 2010.
6. http://www.balancedmigration.com/pressreleases/PRGovtCommitmentonImm290710.pdf accessed on 19th June, 2010.
7. http://www.balancedmigration.com/pressreleases/PRImpactofImmigrationonHousing260710.pdf accessed on 20th August, 2010.
8. http://www.globalissues.org/article/537/immigration accessed on 22nd August, 2010.
9. http://www.globalissues.org/article/537/immigration accessed on 20th August, 2010.
10. http://www.HeadUp.org.uk forum #27 “Immigration and the UK: what effect has it had on Britain?” accessed on 30th July, 2010.
11. http://www.justice-explained.com/Immigration-problems.asp accessed on 20th August, 2010.
12. http://www.migrationinformation.org/Feature/display.cfm?id=383 accessed on 20th August, 2010.
13. http://www.migrationinformation.org/Feature/display.cfm?id=779 accessed on 20th August, 2010.
14. http://www.migrationWatchUk.org Press Release: “Youth Unemployment linked to Immigration” accessed on 18th August, 2010.
15. http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/ accessed on 20th August, 2010.
16. http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/whatCanBeDone accessed on 25th July, 2010.
17. http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/what-is-the-problem accessed on 20th July, 2010.
18. http://www.multikulti.org.uk/en/immigration/help-with-immigration-problem/ accessed on 20th August, 2010.
19. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1548927/Immigration-has-deeply-unsettled-Britain.html accessed on 20th August, 2010.
20. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/5187032/Calais-mayor-blames-Britain-for-immigration-problems.html accessed on 22nd August, 2010.
2. Strauss, A and Corbin, J (1994) Grounded Theory Methodology: an overview
Please join StudyMode to read the full document