CHAPTER 1: INTODUCTION TO COMPUTER AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
2 Computer and Information Literacy
Know how to use a computer is a basic skill
• To succeed in business
• To function effectively in society
To fulfill the purpose we should be a computer literate and information literate
• Must be knowledgeable in how to use a computer
• Must be knowledgeable in finding, analyzing and using information • The ability to gather information from multiple sources, select the relevant material and organize it into a form that will allow you to make a decision or take a specific action • Information – computer, other products, finance, travel, weather • Sources – magazine, publication, Internet
• By the use of communication equipment and software, computers can connect with information sources around the world • Up-to-date information, fast, efficient, cost-effective
4 What is a computer?
• An electronic device
• Operating under the control of instructions stored in its own memory unit • Can accept data (input)
• Process data arithmetically and logically
• Produce results (output)
• Store the results for future use
Computer system – a collection of devices that function together to process data
2. What does a computer do?
• Data given to a computer during the input operation
• Data – raw facts – numbers, words, images, sounds
• Manipulate data to create information
• Information – data that has been processed into a meaningful and useful form • Information processing – production of information by processing data on a computer • Data – arithmetic and logical
• Information created is put into some form (e.g. printed report)
• Store automatically
• Magnetic – CD, tape, disk
The Components of a Computer
• Computer System consists of: input devices, output devices, system units, storage devices and communication devices.
1. Input devices
• An input device is the hardware component that allows a user to enter data and commands into memory of a computer. • Examples: keyboard, mouse, microphone, scanner, digital camera, and PC video camera.
2. Output devices
• An output device is any hardware component that conveys information to one or more people. • Examples: monitor, printer, speaker.
3. System units
• It is a case made from metal or plastic that houses the electronic components of the computer that are used to process data. • This part is usually connected to the motherboard.
• Two components of motherboard:
• CPU (central processing unit)/processor
The electronic component that interprets and carries out the basic instructions that operate the computer
• Consists of electronic components that store
instructions waiting to be executed and data needed by those instructions
4. Storage devices
• It is a device used to hold data, instructions, and information for future use.
• Storage media: Physical material on which data, instructions, and information are stored.
• Examples of storage media: floppy disk, hard disk, CD-ROM, USB flash, DVDs and memory cards. • Storage device: Records and retrieves items to and from a storage medium.
• Storage devices often function as a source of input because they transfer items from storage to memory. • Floppy disk consists of a thin, circular, flexible disk enclosed in rigid plastic shell. • USB flash drive provides much greater storage capacity than a floppy disk or Zip® disk but is small and lightweight enough to be transported on a keychain or in a pocket. • Hard disk provides greater...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document