Attention Getter: More than 1/2 million people are expected to die of cancer this year. That's more than 1,500 a day. An average of 1/2 of men and 1/3 of women will develop cancer. Purpose: To inform my audience about cancer.
Thesis Statement: Cancer is a serious disease that may be preventable and curable. So, what cancer is cancer? How to prevent cancer growth? What are the different types of treatment for cancer? BODY
I. Cancer is a condition of uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. A. Normal cells usually grow and divide to replace old or dead cells. B. Cancer cells continue to grow and divide.
1. Cancer cells accumulate in one place.
2. The accumulated cells form tumors.
3. Tumors destroy body cells.
C. Two types of tumors
D. Cancers are classified according to the body part in which it originates. ` Example: If there is cancer growth in your prostate and it spreads to another part of your body, then it would be classified as prostate cancer. Even if the cancer spreads to another part of the body; it only counts where it originated.
II. A person can take different approaches to lower his/her chances of developing cancer. A. Lifestyles can affect the chances of future cancer development. 1. Smoking/Drinking (1/3)
2. Be active and maintain a healthy weight.
3. Eat healthy and avoid foods high in fat (animal products) and eat plant sources (fruits, vegetables)
III. There are various treatments for cancer.
1. Oldest form of treatment.
2. Offers greatest chance for cure.
3. 60% cancer patients receive surgery/operation. B. Radiation therapy high energy particles
C. Chemotherapy use of drugs. Effective because the drugs go into...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document