1. How does Paris explain the hasty marriage to the Friar?
2. Explain what Juliet is preparing to do in order to escape marriage to Paris.
3. Explain the Friar’s plan for Juliet.
Scene 2 1. Capulet calls his own daughter- “peevish self willed harlotry”. This means what?
2. Capulet says: “I’ll have this knot knit up tomorrow morning.”(Line 24) What day is Juliet to get married? What day had originally been chosen?
3. Explain Capulet’s state of mind in the following lines:
“My heart is wondrous light,
Since this same wayward girl is so reclaimed.” (Line 46-47)
1. In this scene what does Juliet do?
2. Which lines show Juliet’s apprehension before carrying out the Friar’s plan?
3. Which four things does Juliet fear? Quote the lines which support your answer.
4. Quote the line that shows Juliet’s devotion to Romeo.
1. Briefly summarize what takes place in this scene.
1. Who first finds Juliet? Describe Juliet’s condition.
2. What does Capulet mean in lines 38-39?
“Death is my son-in-law, death is my heir;
My daughter he hath wedded.”
3. What does Lady Capulet grieve over in the lines:
“But one poor one, one poor and loving child,
But one thing to rejoice and solace in,
And cruel Death hath catched it from my sight.” (Lines 46-48)
4. How does the Friar try to comfort Juliet’s parents? Summarize briefly his arguments in lines 71-89.
5. What does the Friar mean in lines 99-100?
The heavens do frown upon you for some ill;
Move them no more by crossing their high will.”
6. At the end of Act IV what event takes place?