“IF I WERE A CMO AT MARUTI UDYOG LTD”
Reason for choosing Maruti Suzuki
Maruti Suzuki India Limited has a high brand visibility. It is leading in terms of Market share. However, after the economic downturn the growth is slightly sluggish in Automobile industry, Maruti being no exception. Also the entry of new companies in the market as also the new products from existing competitors like Honda, Hyundai, Chevorlet are slowly eating into Maruti’s marketshare. As a CMO at Maruti Suzuki, I would like to address this changing scenario and make marketing plan and strategy to wrestle back the market share Maruti once enjoyed. Also, would like Maruti to have a stronger say in luxury sedan category.
Maruti Suzuki India Limited commonly referred to as Maruti and formerly known as Maruti Udyog Limited, is an automobile manufacturer in India. It is a subsidiary of Japanese automobile and motorcycle manufacturer Suzuki. Maruti Udyog Limited (MUL) was established in February 1981, though the actual production commenced in 1983 with the Maruti 800. Its only competitors- the Hindustan Ambassador and Premier Padmini were both around for 25 years at that point. Through 2004, Maruti Suzuki has produced over 5 Million vehicles sold in India and various several other countries, depending upon export orders. The company exports more than 50,000 cars annually and has domestic sales of 730,000 cars annually. Its manufacturing facilities are located at two facilities - Gurgaon and Manesar in Haryana. Gurgaon facility has an installed capacity of 900,000 units per annum. The Manesar facilities, launched in February 2007 comprise a vehicle assembly plant with a capacity of 550,000 units per year and a Diesel Engine plant with an annual capacity of 100,000 engines and transmissions. Manesar and Gurgaon facilities have a combined capability to produce over 14,50,000 units annually.
* It is a clear market leader in the Indian auto industry. The company exports over 50,000 cars and sells close to 750,000 cars in India annually.
* Maruti Suzuki is one of India’s leading manufacturers of automobile. It has been rated first in customer satisfaction among all car makers in India from 1999 to 2009 by J D Power Asia Pacific.
* According to a recent J.D. Power CSI Study, Maruti Suzuki scored the highest across all 7 parameters: least problems experienced with vehicle serviced, highest service quality, best in-service experience, best service delivery, best service advisor experience, most user-friendly service and best service initiation experience.
* However, Maruti Suzuki along with the overall with new entrants in the market and also due to the falling demand at the firm's stronghold of entry-level macro car segment as customers turned to diesel-powered cars on rising petrol prices. India's largest carmaker Maruti Suzuki continued to lose ground in 2012 when its market shareslipped to a new low because of factors including declining sales of entry-level petrol cars, increasing competition and, mostly, labour trouble at its Manesar plants.
* Maruti's market share slipped to 39.12% in 2013 from 44.64% in 2010.
Maruti Suzuki has a diverse product offering with a car for every segment – the hatchback, mid-size, luxury, SUV. There are models like Maruti 800(now phased out), Alto, WagonR, Estilo, A-star, Ritz, Swift, Swift DZire, SX4, Omni and the newly launched Ertiga.
Facts and Figures
Below are few facts and figures depicting about Maruti’s Footing in the Indian Auto Market
NET SALES AND PAT (Source: www.marutisuzuki.com)
Passenger Vehicle Analysis Fiscal Year 2012-13
* Brand name.
* Fuel efficient yet considerable power in all the cars in their respective segments. *...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document