IIFT MBA (PT) 2010-13; Roll No. 20
IIFT MBA (PT) 2010-13; Roll No. 20
CONCOR: ICD, DADRI PORT VISIT REPORT
ICD Dadri ( Inland Container Depot Dari ) was set up in 2004 to facilitate the inland transportation .It is the second largest ICD of CONCOR located at Greater Noida (UP)near Dadri railway station. ICD Dadri is fully functional and caters to both EXIM (Export/Import) & Domestic cargo. The Container Corporation of India (Concor) operates the country’s largest inland container depot (ICD) at Dadri in Uttar Pradesh. Concor is a Railway PSU. The Dadri ICD has been designed to handle 1 million TEUs (twenty feet equivalent units) of containerised cargo. It has the capacity of 4 lakh containers, so far the largest in the country and supersedes Delhi’s Tughlakabad ICD. The Dadri ICD is spread over 110 hectares of land. The ICD Dadri complex is a mega terminal spread over 110 hectares, connected by six railway lines, designed to handle 5,00,000 twenty-foot TYT W equivalent units(TEUs) per annum in the first phase with a possibility to enhance the capacity to 1million TEUs per annum. FACTS:
* Adjacent to Dadri Railway Station of North Central Railway on Delhi-Howrah rail route. * 33 km from New Delhi station and 42 kms from TKD.
* Connected to entire BG rail network of Indian Railway.
* Road connectivity through Surajpur – Dadri road which links ICD with Grans Trunk Road (2.4 km away) as well as NOIDA. * A wide network of roads to facilitate vehicular movement incorporated in the Master Plan 2021 of the Greater Noida Authority. * 24 hrs free access to the terminal with absolutely no traffic restrictions.
This ICD provides the much-needed flexibility to the beleaguered trade in North Indian sending their cargoes through ports other than the heavily congested and still much-preferred Nhava Sheva container terminal in Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT).
Given the congestion at Nhava Sheva, the CFS at ICD Dadri helps the trade in North India to consolidate the cargo here rather than pile them up at JNPT and send them through other ports such as Mundra, Pipavav or Visakhapatnam. This gives greater flexibility to the growing Northern India trade in using other ports instead of getting stuck at Nhava Sheva or JNPT.
While the adjoining rail terminal will provide rail link to ports such as Mundra, Kandla,Pipavav, JNPT/NSICT, Chennai, Vizag and Kolkata, the Dadri terminal also has the advantage of road movement across major trading centres covering Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh. Rail linkages to the Dadri ICD are provided through Dadri stations which fall on the New Delhi-Howrah route of the North Central Railway. FUNCTIONS OF ICD, DADRI
The primary functions of ICD may be summed up as under:
* Consolidation and desegregation of LCL cargo.
* Temporary storage of cargo and containers.
* Import handling: port movement, handling and container delivery to end customer * Export handling: cargo carting, container stuffing, custom clearance and movement to port * LCL shipment: handling, consolidating, stuffing and de-stuffing * Bonded and open warehousing: systematic storage, inventory management and web-based visibility * Transportation: complete end-to-end service including multi modal transit support. * Expert handling of specialized cargo: container lashing, chocking and palletizing to maintain cargo integrity during transit * Computerized customs documentation: recording import and export operational movements and administering related formalities * Maintenance and repair of dry containers: complete repair, welding and cleaning services * Reefer monitoring service: 24/7 monitoring and temperature regulation ensuring maintenance of cargo * Hazmat handling: comprehensive and safe management of hazardous cargo * IT-enabled support services: web-based real time track...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document