FINAL REQUIREMENT IN HUMANITIES
INDIAN LITERATURE * Gitanjali * Karma
MIDDLE EAST LITERATURE
1. Arabian Lit Excerpts of Koran The Fisherman and the Genie
Story of Ruth
AFRICAN LITERATURE * The Gentleman of the Jungle
FRENCH LITERATURE * A Piece of String
ENGLISH LITERATURE * My Heart Lifts Up
AMERICAN LITERATURE * Road Not Taken
Vocabulary: Use the words in a sentence.
1. respite - The bad weather has continued without respite.
2. ply – Jen ply two single yarns.
3. minstrel - The jazz musician has come to be regarded as a sort of existential minstrel.
4. hampers – The project was hampered by budget restraints.
5. fray – John showed signs of fray when he saw the man who killed his son. The accusations frayed his reputation.
Questions for Discussion
1. When a person is exposed to the free leisure of life, like being exposed to the helpful dust of the earth, does it make him a better person?
-Working or doing important things in everyday life is essential in becoming a better person, but as a human being, he also needs leisure. Leisure is the time free from work or duties, it may make him a better person or not, depending on what are his leisures of life.
2. What lines in the poem identify the free leisures of life?
-The ff. are lines in the poem that identify the free leisures of life, moment’s indulgence to sit by thy side; the bees are plying their minstrelsy at the court of the flowering grove; It’s time to sit quiet, face to face with thee and to sing dedication of life in this silent and overflowing leisure.
3. Narrate your own experiences on being exposed to the helpful dust of the earth.
-One of the great gifts I had when I celebrated my birthday was the trip to Davao. I went to Davao with my family and my crush was with us. This happened last summer, and it was a great leisure time I’ve spent because I