Human Growth & Development
1. Which theoretical perspective emphasizes nature in the “nature versus nurture” controversy?
(D) Psychodynamic theory
2. which theorist would be most likely to expect cultural differences in development?
3. To determine whether boys and girls play differently, a researcher videotaped children at play during school recess this is an example of a?
B) naturalistic observation
4. The average child begins to walk between?
Source: page 85
5. According to Piaget, adaptation is made up of the two processes called?
(E) Accommodation and assimilation
6. The fact that parents will provide less direction to a child who begins to show competence on a task, supports the theory of?
Source: chapter 7
7. According to the information- processing approach, children’s memories improve with age m because?
(A) They get better at organizing information
Source: page 26
8. Jane digs a hole in the sandbox while Jim, who is sitting next to her, fills his bucket with sand they share the shovels in the sandbox and talk about school they are engaged in?
(E) Associative play
9. Which of the following research methods is most often used to study rare or unique situations or behavior?
Source: page 33
10. Which of the following theories describes stages of development?
Source: page 269
11. Which of the following is an example of instrumental aggression?
(A) Sara pushes Joy out of the way so she can get a toy she wants to play with first
Source: page 269
12. According to statistics, which group commits most of the child abuse in our country?
13. Which theoretical perspective assumes there is a bidirectional relationship between the person and the environment?
14. A problem with longitudinal research is?
C. subject to drop out
Source: page 36
15. Students who have developed a mastery orientation would attribute a good grade on a test to their ability; and a bad grade on a test to?
(D) Lack of effort
16. According to recent research, which of the following has shown a correlation with age, but is NOT found only in older people?
17. Compared to peer groups in middle childhood, adolescent peer groups?
C. are more structured and exclusive
Source: page 332
18. Which of the following indicates the -presence of empathy?
C. Mollie laughs when she sees something funny on television
19. among the parenting styles that have been studied by Baumrind, which of the following is associated with the most negative impact on development?
Source: page 253
20. Which of the following statements about physical growth is true?
A. Physical growth is rapid during infancy, slows during early and middle childhood, and then rapid again during adulthood.
Source: page 113
21. Research on the growth hormone (GH) has shown that?
E. vitamin C can simulate GH productivity in the body
22. Researchers have studied the impact of late versus early maturation on adolescents ‘adjustment. Which of the pairs below have been shown to have the best adjustment outcomes?
C. late maturing boys and early maturing girls
23. One theory of biological aging suggests aging is inevitable and is caused by?
C. wear and tear from normal use
Source: page 538
24. An effective treatment for the side effects of menopause is?
C. estrogen replacement therapy
Source: page 484
25. Compared to women, the male climacteric is?
C. unaffected by sex...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document