BRIDGEND COUNTY BOROUGH COUNCIL
CORPORATE RESOURCES & IMPROVEMENT OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE
13 JULY 2009
REPORT OF THE ASSISTANT CHIEF EXECUTIVE – CORPORATE DEVELOPMENT & PARTNERSHIPS
SICKNESS ABSENCE RESEARCH & EVALUATION PANEL PROJECT PLAN
Purpose of Report
The report outlines suggested parameters and draft methodology for the Research & Evaluation Panel’s investigation into Sickness Absence within Bridgend County Borough Council.
Connection to Corporate Improvement Plan / Other Corporate Priority
Reducing absence levels is a management priority and will support achievement of Corporate objectives of efficiencies and performance improvement.
At the meeting of this Committee on 20 May 2009 a two part paper from the Corporate Director Resources, was presented outlining the extent and nature of sickness absence in BCBC and detailing the measures being taken to address this. The report also provided information on the process and findings of the Health and Wellbeing Audit, which has been undertaken within the Resources and Wellbeing Directorates.
It was resolved by the Committee that a Research & Evaluation Panel be established to further investigate sickness absence within BCBC and to evaluate what opportunities exist to reduce the level of workplace absence within the authority.
The Overview and Scrutiny Unit were tasked with the production of a project plan for consideration at this meeting.
The central research proposal of this Research and Evaluation Panel is twofold:
• To consider the Authority’s existing arrangements for managing sickness absence;
• To identify transferable best practice examples of reducing absence within the public sector.
2. Draft Terms of Reference
1. The proposed terms of reference for the Research & Evaluation Panel are:
• To undertake stakeholder consultation to determine potential options for reducing sickness absence and make recommendations on this basis;
• To review the roles of the various sections involved in recording and monitoring absence and identify any changes in process which might be desirable;
• To consider management practice in relation to sickness absence and assess current performance against best practice examples;
• To investigate the viability and potential of any initiatives inline with the Councils current approach, which can be introduced on a spend to save basis;
Potential Research Areas
1. In order to address the central research questions posed above, Panel Members will utilise the Wales Audit Office best practice ‘checklist’ for Scrutiny investigations on sickness absence:
|a. |Can you be confident that the organisation has sustainable and robust processes in place to deliver ongoing management of| | |sickness absence? | |b. |Do you receive regular reports of data showing absence levels and trends, for the whole organisation and by occupational | | |group, with comparisons against other organisations/groups? | | | | | |Are targets for improvement defined? | |c. |Do you know the precise costs of sickness absence, in terms of: | | |payment made for no contribution, | | |cover through overtime, supply, locum etc, ...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document