Hrm 552

Topics: Occupational safety and health, Employment, Occupational Safety and Health Administration Pages: 5 (1534 words) Published: February 9, 2013
Strategic HR Approach
Maria Guillemard
HRM 552
October 29, 2012
Professor Fred Marsh

Strategic HR Approach
A HR Director has many job responsibilities throughout the work day. They ensure that payroll and accounting are done properly; they are in charge of the hiring and training of new employees. They must also keep up to date information and training for current employees who wish to continue to work for the company. Also HR directors also have to deal with the termination of employees. One other task which HR directors must deal with is employee safety. They must ensure the company and the employees are following all federal and state guidelines. By following all safety and security measures maintains the employer and employee have proper balance within the workplace. Listed below are four case scenarios in which I, as the HR director, must ensure all federal guidelines are being met by the company to offer the best outcome for the employees involved. Case Scenario 1: Medical Bills

This employee has been a dedicated employee within the company for the past 25 years of service. They have been diagnosed with cancer which has required them to be hospitalized for two months. While in the hospital, they have accumulated a numerous amount of medical bills due to different treatment options. With the mounting amount of medical bills and no work, this employee is seeking additional help from the employer with additional medical costs and to help cover the cost of these bills. The company is already following state and federal guidelines by covering their 80% coverage and the individual pays the remaining 20% coverage. Also the employee has paid into disability insurance and the company is complying with that additional coverage as well, as the employee takes an extended leave of absence. It has been deemed the employee’s cancer was not due to working and hazardous materials from the company, so the employer is under no obligation to cover anymore medical expenses. Another step which can be taken for the employee to help offset the cost of treatment is the company can host several fundraisers for the employee and their family. All the money either donated or raised through the fundraiser can be set up in account which will cover the cost of current and any additional medical bills. Although not required by the company to take these extra steps, it can bring coworkers together to help in times of need and boost employee morale around the office as well. Case Scenario 2: Accidents with New Management

“Accidents have been occurring in a department of 10 employees under a new supervisor. With the change in management, employees who worked for the company for more than 4 years complain that the new supervisor frequently micromanages, whereas the supervisor complains that the employees do not respect him because he is new and younger than his subordinates. Aside from the accidents, the supervisor thinks the team performance is below average” (University of Phoenix, 2012). The HR Director has many options which they can choose from to handle this rather difficult situation which are legally legit. One of the first things the HR Director needs to do is have a mandatory meeting with the supervisor in charge. There is a proper way to manage and lead a team to achieve results. Talking down to them and micromanaging them over every move is not the proper way. With constant micromanagement, the employees may feel like they are being babysat and hounded. They will not be able to get any work done which in turn will increase the low production rate and not only frustrate the employees but the supervisor as well. To earn respect of the employees, the supervisor also needs to give some respect to them and not talk down to them. The HR Director’s next step is to explain to the supervisor and the employees of the company’s safety guidelines and their accordance with OSHA (Occupational Safety Health Administration). “Under the OSH...

References: United States Department of Labor. (2012). Family Medical Leave Act. Retrieved from
United States Department of Labor. (2012). Injury and Illness Prevention Programs. Retrieved from
United States Department of Labor. (2012). OSHA Laws & Regulations. Retrieved from
University of Phoenix. (2012). University of Phoenix: Individual Strategic Approach. Retrieved from http://
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Essay on Hrm: Contribution
  • Hris vs Hrms Essay
  • Purpose and Use of Hrms Essay
  • Essay about Electronics Human Resources Management (E-Hrm)
  • stragey of hrm Essay
  • Essay on Hrms
  • Essay about E-Hrm
  • Outsourcing On HRM Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free