Howard Hughes

Topics: Howard Hughes, Hughes Aircraft, Hughes H-1 Racer Pages: 5 (1587 words) Published: December 2, 2013
Legend of the Aviator
Howard Hughes is a man of many mysteries, very few actual facts are known about him. Historians constantly argue to decipher which of their theories are correct and which are just over glorified rumors. The fact is Hughes liked to keep to himself. This man left behind not only the “Legend of the Aviator” but also one of the biggest gaps in the world of film and aviation. “Hughes was the ambassador who ushered in a new era of living and a new way of life” (Hack 5). He introduced new ideas and accomplished things that people had deemed impossible. He believed that with his money nothing was impossible, he made that very apparent through his invention’s. He designed planes and made some of the most revolutionary movies that captivated the minds of millions. Howard lived his life behind closed doors, hiding all of his true ambitions and how he achieved them. He also hid the world from not only his crazed ideas but also his mental illness, perhaps because he himself did not know that he was mentally ill. Howard Hughes related every aspect of his life to modernism. Not only did he relate to modernism but he himself was a modernist. His ingenious ideas were thought to be radical for his time but at the same time they were somewhat inspirational. He was an idealistic man who looked beyond the possible and did not take no for an answer. Because of this, he broke world records and raised the bar for the upcoming 20th century. In order to truly understand this man, his actions, and how the “Legend of the Aviator” started one has to look into early life. If there ever was a more crucial part of anyones life it was Howard Hughes’ upbringing. Hughes birth place and date are not precisely known and are still a major controversy. What you need to know is that he was born somewhere in Texas in the year 1905. He was born to a very fortunate family. At the time Hughes father Robert was the sole owner of a crucial

piece of equipment that was used to drill oil. His father made it rich selling land that contained massive oil deposits and by designing and selling the only drill bit that was strong enough to penetrate hard layers of granite. This drill bit was also the only one that could actually drill deep enough to tap into large oil reserves. In later years Hughes took over the family company after the death of his father in 1924. He inherited 75 percent of Hughes Tool Co. and later bought out the other 25 percent from the rest of his family (Hack 43). He was inspired to be like his father, a businessman. At heart, Hughes was not a businessman but his positive “go get ‘em” attitude helped him seem like one. Hughes’ company was once accused of being a monopoly, his response was simply “We don’t have an monopoly. Anyone who wants to dig a well without a Hughes bit can always use a pick and shovel” (Howard 1).

Howard Hughes was one of the most iconic figures of the earlier half of the 20th century. He revolutionized the airline industry, presenting ideas that made flights smother and took less time from takeoff to landing. He single handedly defeated the social norms of his time and was known for setting a certain standard of class. Modernism by broad definition is, “a style or movement in the arts that aims to break with classical and traditional forms” (Modernism 1). Just this definition alone shows that his individual attitude and matches that of modernism. In 1927 the film industry was booming, and Hollywood was at its highest peak in setting new standards. Out of now where a 23 year old millionaire came from Texas and dropped millions of dollars into one single film. People were skeptical and thought of this producer as a crazed Texan with money that just wanted to find a way to spend it, but as proven by Howard Hughes they were wrong. Three years later Hughes’ movie was release. He had successfully raised the bar for film industry. The movie Hell’s Angels had broken the record for the highest

budget spent,...

Cited: Hack, Richard. Hughes The Private Diaries, Memos and Letters. Agawam: Millennium, 2002.
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Howard Hughes and Ocd Essay
  • Howard Hughes Essay
  • Essay about Hughes vs. TWA
  • Essay about Langston Hughes
  • Essay about Sam Hughes
  • Langston Hughes Essay
  • Langston Hughes Essay
  • Essay about Langston Hughes

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free