How to Become a Veterinarian

Topics: Medicine, Veterinary medicine, Veterinarian Pages: 2 (382 words) Published: August 23, 2013
Individual Work
Lisa Peterson
Instructor Daniel Burrello
For this assignment, take into consideration what you have learned about the writing process so far, along with the preparation you have done in the topic, thesis, and outlining stages. Write an initial draft of your multi-paragraph paper.

* In this draft, focus on the presentation of ideas within paragraphs. * Your draft should have an introductory paragraph, body paragraphs, and a conclusion paragraph. Veterinarians are doctors who diagnose and treat the disease and injures of animals. Their duties vary depending on the specific type of practice or specialization. In North America, 80 percent of veterinarians are in private practice. The remaining 20 percent work at zoos, inspect meat and poultry for the federal or state government, tech at veterinary universities, or conduct research. When serving in the U.S. Army, Air Force, or Public Health Service, veterinarians are commissioned officers. Veterinarians who practice general veterinary medicine are similar to family practitioners. They carry out a number of health services, including giving general checkups, administering tests and immunizations, and advising pet owners on feeding, exercising, and grooming. Veterinarians are called upon to form routine spaying or neutering, as well as surgery to correct a health problem. Most veterinarians treat small animals and pets exclusively, but others specialize in larger animals such as cattle, horses, and sheep. Veterinarians usually have set office hours, although they may be called to take care of an emergency at any time. Large-animal veterinarians may also be required to visit a farm or ranch when an animal is injured, ill, or expected to give birth under difficult circumstances. A veterinarian must get along with animals and should have an interest in science. There are a limited number of colleges of veterinary medicine in the United States, and entrance is competitive. Individuals must complete...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • To Become a Veterinarian Essay
  • Possessing the Skills to Become a Veterinarian Essay
  • Essay about Animal Veterinarians
  • How to Become the Perfect Student Essay
  • Essay about How to Become a Better Person
  • Essay on How to Become a Good Leader
  • Essay on How Did Equality Become A
  • Essay about How to Become a Orthodontist

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free