Homo Marrige Point of View
Pages: 2 (373 words) /
Published: Apr 8th, 2013
* Denying same-sex couples the right to marry is a violation of civil rights because marriage is a legal civil status.
* Denying same-sex couples the right to marry is a form of discrimination. Most of the countries, such as Hong Kong, America, were built on the idea of equal treatment for both the majority and minority. The prohibition of same-sex marriage is in direct violation of this ideal.
* Same-sex couples would have the same legal right as heterosexual couples do if they were to marry. Besides love and companionship, there are many benefits to marriage, especially in the eyes of the law. In fact, there are a lots of benefits, rights and responsibilities associated with marriage. Same-sex couples would benefit from standardizes of inheritance rules in the event that a deceased spouse does not leave a will, it creates the same responsibilities to spouse and children as does heterosexual marriage, and marriage benefits such as joint ownership, medical decision-making capacity.
* Regardless of the legalities and personal beliefs, marriage is an expression of love, and no one should be denied that. A person's religious views or lack thereof must be protected. Marriage by the state is a secular activity; the government cannot start making laws just because a religion says they should.
* Without marriage equality, people will continue to be ignorant of homosexual’s lifestyle. Hate crimes will continue to be committed, and homosexuals misunderstood. Equal is equal, whether your gay or straight, black or white, male or female, it shouldn’t matter.
* Debaters all over the world have been fighting the idea of marriage equality. Throughout history, the concept of homosexuality has been discriminated against. It is considered to be “unnatural” and a sin. Even though homosexual tendencies have been around for hundreds of years, it is still frowned upon by most. Why is it considered to be unnatural? This concept could not be further from the truth. Over 478 species including; domestic cats and dogs, as well as dolphins and black bears have been proven to have homosexual behavior (Bagemihl 1999). This shows that the feelings are completely natural and should be allowed instead of restricted.