DNA extraction in Watermelon and Bananas
During this experiment the researcher investigated the differing amounts of DNA present in bananas and watermelon.
So that the researcher could do this, and accurately record the amounts, the researcher liquefied the fruits in a blender, added water and salt to them, and the added laundry detergent before using contact solution as an enzyme. Rubbing alcohol was then poured into the mixture and the DNA was extracted and put into a small container so that it could be weighed.
This experiment gave the researcher the knowledge that bananas do in fact have more DNA than watermelon. The results were recorded in a chart and expressed through tables and graphs. .
To create a lab using the scientific method for collection and data, To compare the amounts of DNA in different fruits
Creating a lab using the scientific method, Discover which fruit has the most DNA
Alcohol aids in DNA extraction. Everything’s DNA is different.
Do Bananas or Watermelon contain larger amounts of DNA?
If there is a difference in the amounts of DNA, then the banana will have a larger quantity, because of its more solid nature.
If there is a difference in the amounts of DNA, then the watermelon will have a larger quantity, because of the DNA in its juices
The DNA from the banana will be of a larger quantity because bananas are more solid nature, which gives the DNA more space and a greater of number of places to exist, whereas the watermelons mostly-liquid nature will deny the DNA of some of the space in which it can be.
The amount of DNA extracted
Room Temperature ( 25˚ C )
Plastic 200 mL containers
Jars: Experimental A, Experimental B, experimental C, experimental D, experimental I, experimental II, experimental III, and experimental IV
Jars: Control A, Control B, Control C, Control I, Control II, Control III
1 Watermelon Slice
.6 mL of ionized salt
2 plastic 200mL containers
12 mL of liquid detergent
12 small 100mL glass containers
Contact lens cleaning solution
15mL Rubbing alcohol
A gram scale
Two plastic strainers
2 small (50mL) plastic containers
1. Have all materials needed ready for use.
2. Peel the two bananas, putting the peels in the trash. 3. Place one banana in the gram scale, adding or taking. away bits until the weight of 114 grams is reached.
4. Place the banana(s) in the blender.
5. Add one cup of cold water to the bananas in the blender.
6. Add 1/8 of a teaspoon to the blender.
7. Blend on high for 15 seconds.
8. Pour the mixture through the large strainer and into another container. 9. Add two tablespoons of liquid detergent to the mixture and mix.
10. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes.
11. Clean the utensils.
12. Take one slice of watermelon and take off the rind.
13. Place the watermelon slice in the gram scale, adding or taking away bits until the weight of 114 grams is reached.
14. Place the watermelon in the blender.
15. Add one cup of cold water to the watermelon the blender.
16. Add 1/8 of a teaspoon to the blender.
17. Blend on high for 30 seconds.
18. Let the mixture sit for 10...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document