THE NEW IMPERIALISM
Section 2 Quiz
A. Terms, People, and Places
Match the descriptions in Column I with the terms in Column II. Write the letter of the correct answer in the blank provided. Not all of the terms in Column II will be used. Each answer can be used only once.
1. a famous missionary and explorer
2. leader of West African resistance to colonial rule
3. helped set up a powerful Muslim state in Nigeria
4. the upper class
5. ruthless and brilliant leader of the Zulus
B. Main Ideas
Usman dan Fodio
King Leopold II
Samori Touré elite Write the letter of the correct answer in the blank provided.
6. What weakened the Asante kingdom?
a. repeated invasions by the Boers in the early 1800s
b. a succession of corrupt rulers
c. several years of poor trade
d. tributary states looking for help to defeat their Asante rulers
7. Christian missionary groups followed explorers to Africa in order to
a. convert Africans to Christianity. c. study African culture.
b. gather slaves.
d. map out the course of rivers.
8. What event began the European stampede for colonies in Africa?
a. the Boer War
b. Belgian King Leopold II’s activities in the Congo
c. Henry Stanley’s explorations of the Nile
d. Cecil Rhodes’ diamond and gold mining
9. Which country controlled much of northern and west-central Africa?
10. Why was Ethiopia able to maintain its independence from Italy?
a. It was high in the mountains.
c. It was divided into domains.
b. Menelik II had worked to
d. The Italians were poor ﬁghters. modernize it.
© Pearson Education, Inc., publishing as Pearson Prentice Hall. All rights reserved.