History of the Whitehall Division of Police
The Early Days
Every story has a beginning! The story of the Whitehall Police Department would be incomplete without a little bit of background information first. The following is information recorded at the Council meetings of the Village of Whitehall. On September 24, 1947 a copy of the proceedings for the incorporation of the Village of Whitehall, Franklin County, Ohio was filed in the Office of the Secretary of State. As a result of such proceedings, in compliance with Ohio General Code, an election was held within the Village of Whitehall in February of 1948 for the purpose of electing Village Officials. As a result of the election, the following parties received Certificates of Election issued by the Franklin County Board of Elections and in due process were sworn in, taking their Oath of Office by V. Glenn Smith on March 1, 1948:
Howard O. Barr, Mayor
Robert W. Boulger, Clerk
Walter B. Moling, Treasurer
Woodrow Patton, Councilman
Lester Flowers, Councilman
Everett Lytle, Councilman
Arthur Reddy, Councilman
Floyd Dreher, Councilman
Carlos Shaffer, Councilman
A New Police Department
One of the first official acts of the newly formed council was the creation of a Police department. The records show that on April 14, 1948 Reo Wagner was appointed as the first Marshall for the Village of Whitehall. This was followed by the passage of Ordinance 13-48 which provided for the creation of a Police department for the Village on April 28, 1948. The records show that on May 26, 1948 Marshall Wagner appeared before council reporting on the progress in obtaining badges and a police cruiser. The exact date is unknown, but many "old-timers" state that Marshall Wagner did not serve for a very long term.
| Deputy Marshalls
The next official record reference to the police department indicates that the Marshall had the assistance of several Deputy Marshalls. References are made in the early fall of 1948 to Deputy Marshal Harry Worley. In 1949, W. Richard Moling was appointed as a Deputy Marshall. On November 27, 1951 Harry Worley was appointed as Chief of the Whitehall Police Department. It was about this same time that the groundwork for the formation of the Auxiliary Police was initiated. In July of 1952, James Tudor was appointed to Deputy Marshal. In August of 1953 Carl Redifer was appointed as a part-time officer and worked 24 hours per week. 1953 brought a much brighter outlook to the Police department as the addition of Ralph Walker and William A. Miller as Deputy Marshalls was approved. Carl Redifer became a full-time officer, and the passage of a city ordinance creating the Auxiliary Police for was a major advancement.
In early 1954 the headquarters of the Police department was changed from 690 Yearling Road to the basement of the firehouse at 380 Yearling Road because the old building was in need of extensive repairs. During the stay at 380 Yearling Road a group of businessmen donated materials to the Police department to remodel the interior of 690 Yearling Road (with the Officers and Auxiliary units providing the manpower and labor to upgrade that facility). The job was completed in the fall of that same year, and the police department was relocated back to 690 Yearling Road.
| The mid-1950's
The year of 1955 brought major advancements to the Police department. One major improvement was the addition of a radio base station which gave our headquarters direct radio contact with the WPD cruisers. Prior to this time, all calls were relayed by phone to the radio operator at the Franklin County Sheriff's Office. The radio was presented to the department by the Whitehall Chamber of Commerce. This was also the first dual-frequency radio license issued in the Columbus area. Unfortunately 1955 also brought the City of Whitehall's first recorded traffic fatality. On January 1, 1957 the Village of Whitehall officially became a "City". The planning for a new...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document