FINAL EXAM ESSAYS – 2012
Select One Essay from three choices assigned from your teacher. Write a clear five paragraph essay. Be sure to include historical facts to support your thesis.
1. “The North American colonists rebelled against the British crown as a result of experiencing economic, political, and legal oppression”. Prove this thesis using at least four total examples.
2. George Washington, Alexander Hamilton, and Thomas Jefferson had important roles in guiding the United States through its formative years. Explain and analyze the contrasting ideologies and contributions of these key historical figures to the early American republic.
3. During Andrew Jackson’s tenure as president of the United States he conducted three actions, which could be characterized as a controversial use of executive power. Please explain and analyze these actions and determine if Jackson abused his presidential powers.
4. During the Presidency of James K. Polk, the theory of “Manifest Destiny” supported demands for the expansion of the continental United States to its present boundaries. This vast new land, in addition to the lands previously purchased from France only served to divide the nation further. Provide at least three examples needed to explain this statement.
5. Discuss and analyze three issues or events between 1850 and 1860 which furthered the sectional tension and brought the United States closer to Civil War.
6. The United States emerged victorious over the Confederate States of America in the Civil war (1861-1865). Explain why this occurred using military, economic, and geographic reasoning.
7. The Reconstruction era began in 1865 and through congressional and constitutional actions the hopes of African American equality began to be realized. By 1877 these hopes of equality had been destroyed. In this essay, identify the key acts/events which aided the progress of African Americans during this