Historical Report on Race
Search the Internet for groups and organizations promoting racial equality to help you complete this assignment. Using the information from the text and your web search: Identify one racial group from the list below: • African American
• Asian American
• Middle Eastern American
• Hispanic American/Latino
• Native American Write a 750- to 1,050-word paper from one of the perspectives below: • A historian writing about the racial group in a book chapter
• A news reporter writing a newspaper article or blog entry about the racial group
• An individual member of the racial group, writing a personal letter to a friend who is not a member of that racial group Answer the following questions: • What have been the experiences of this racial group throughout U.S. history? Historically the Asian American’s have been compared to the African American population. They were first brought over to replace the work force that was lost when the slaves gained their freedom. The Asian American was said to be better workers and more efficient workers than the African American. When times began to become tight and there were issues with the economy they were then blamed for being to good.
• What have been the political, social, and cultural issues and concerns throughout American history? According to the Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund (AALDEF) (AALDEF, Voting) in New York, which boasts the nation’s second largest Asian population at more than 800,000, there has never been an Asian American elected to city-wide, state-wide, or national office. This is a startling and perilous fact. The stereotype of Asian Americans as a model minority has obscured the continuing barriers that prevent Asian Americans from participating effectively as candidates or as voters.
• What legislation meant to constrain race within