Final Test Review 2013 Fall
1. All of the following factors promoted the growth of suburbs a. Low cost government loans.
b. Expanded road and highway construction.
c. Increased automobile production.
d. The baby boom.
2. The mood of the “Beat Generation’ is best reflected in which Jack Kerouac’s On the Road. 3. The decade of the 1950’s was characterized by women doing what? 4. All of the following were reasons why a consumer culture appeared in the 1950’s a. The creation of credit cards and easy payment plans.
b. An increased ability of advertisers to create demand for new products. c. The appearance of new and varied products.
d. “Keeping up with the Jones”.
5. The Soviet Union’s launching of Sputnik in 1957 immediately led to _____________. The creation of NASA
6. In his farewell address in January 1961, President Eisenhower warned the American people against _________________. Military industrial complex and deficit spending 7. The largest public works project during Eisenhower’s presidency was ___________. Eisenhower Highway System 8. Containment is to Truman as _____________ is to Eisenhower. Brinkmanship 9. Which Supreme Court decision ruled that a state law school have to admit qualified African American applicants even if parallel black law schools existed? Sweat vs. Painter 10. Which Supreme Court decision ruled that segregation in public schools was unconstitutional? Brown vs. Board of Education 11. Where was the “March for Freedom” in which state troopers and deputized citizens brutally attacked marchers in full view of television that helped lead to the Voting Rights Act of 1965? Selma, Alabama 12. In response to the arrest of Rosa Parks, African Americans did what? Boycotted riding the bus 13. Where was the location of a Woolworth’s lunch counter that sparked the “sit-in” movement for civil rights? Greensboro, NC/ A&T University 14. At first President Kennedy acted slowly on civil rights because? JFK didn’t want to lose support from Southern Democrats 15. What was the Southern Manifest?
a resolution signed by Congress condemning Brown vs. BOE ruling 16. In Little Rock, Arkansas, Governor Orval Faubus tried to prevent African American students from entering a white high school by deploying whom? Arkansas Nat’l Guard 17. The Kerner Commission blamed the majority of the inner-city problems on what? 18. Plessy v. Ferguson – Separate but equal
19. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., believed the way to end segregation was through ___________________. Peaceful Protest 20. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 did little to guarantee what? Social equality/ integration 21. Until 1965, the civil rights movement focused on what? Integration of school and public places 22. After his pilgrimage to Makkah, Malcolm X concluded what? That segregation is not good for the Muslim, people of all races should try to live together 23. Who helped organize the Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party? Fannie Lou Hamer 24. As a result of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, segregation was outlawed where? Nationally 25. Why is the Till case considered the birth of the Civil Rights movement? Because it motivated the young people to get involved 26. The Alliance for Progress, proposed by President Kennedy in 1961, can be most accurately called an added dimension of what FDR plan? Good Neighbor Policy 27. President Kennedy’s main goal in the United States’ 1962 decision to blockade Cuba was to what?: To get Soviets to surrender and/or move their nuclear weapons 28. What was JFK’s policy calling for more conventional weapons to be used against Soviet aggression since nuclear weapons were to be used as a last response? Flexible Response 29. What became the symbol of the separation of the Free World from the Iron Curtain? Berlin Wall 30. The primary reason for the crushing Republican party defeat in 1964 was what? 1st televised debate, Nixon looked nervous (sweating) in comparison to a polished Kennedy 31. Both the New Frontier...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document