Assignment: SCIE207 Phase 3 Lab Report
Title: Heredity Lab
Instructions: You will need to write a 1- page lab report using the scientific method to answer the following questions:
State which genes are dominant (the genes that get expressed over the other genes) and which genes are recessive (the genes that will not be expressed when the dominant gene is present).
How do you know which genes are which?
What is the ratio that is most likely to be observed across all traits?
When your lab report is complete, post it in Submitted Assignment files.
Part 1: Using the lab animation, fill in the following data table to help you generate your hypothesis, outcomes, and analysis:
Complete the following (Audesirk, Audesirk, & Byers, 2008):
1. Assign letters to the different alleles; use uppercase for dominant and lowercase for recessive.
2. Determine all of the types of genetically different gametes that can be produced by the male and female parents.
3. Draw the Punnett Square, with each row and column labeled with one of the possible genotypes of sperm and eggs, respectively. (The fractions of these genotypes are included with each label.)
4. Fill in the genotype of the offspring in each box by combining the genotype of sperm in its row with the genotype of the egg in its column. (Multiply the fraction of sperm of each type in the row headers by the fraction of eggs of each type in the column headers.)
5. Count the number of offspring with each genotype. (Note that Pp is the same as pP.)
6. Convert the number of offspring of each genotype to a fraction of the total number of offspring.
Part 2: Write a 1-page lab report using the following scientific method sections:
State the purpose of the lab.
This is an investigation of what is currently known about the question being asked. Use background information from credible references to