Unit 12 Outline
1. List reasons from the text why people are fascinated by the exceptional, the unusual, and the abnormal. 2. Are there any countries free of psychological disorders?
I. Perspectives on Psychological Disorders
Defining Psychological Disorders
3. Identify the criteria for judging whether behavior is psychologically disordered. 4. Explain the controversy over the diagnosis of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. Present both sides of the argument. Make sure you read the “Thinking Critically About” on pg. 563 in the gold box. 5. Compare and Contrast the medical model of psychological disorders with the biopsychosocial approach to disordered behavior. 6. Describe the goals of the DSM-IV-TR.
7. What is the content of the DSM-IV-TR?
8. Explain the potential dangers and potential benefits of using diagnostic labels.
In addition: Look at Figure 12.1 (understand it), and read the “Close-Up” on pg. 567 in the green box.
9. Answer the “Ask Yourself/Test Yourself” Questions on pg. 568.
II. Anxiety Disorders
10. Define Anxiety Disorders.
11. Contrast the symptoms of Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Panic Disorder. 12. Explain how a phobia differs from the fears we all experience. 13. What is a social phobia?
14. Describe the symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder. As well as explain the difference between an obsession and a compulsion. 15. Describe the symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder. 16. Explain survivor resiliency.
17. What is post-traumatic growth?
18. Within the learning perspective: Explain how fear conditioning leads to the understanding of the development of anxiety disorders. 19. Within the learning perspective: Explain how Observational Learning leads to the understanding of the development of anxiety disorders. 20. Within the Biological Perspective: Explain how Natural selection leads to the understanding of the development of...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document