There are lots of factors that influence our growth and development (the way we develop Physically, Intellectually, Emotionally and Socially).
Remember the factors that we wrote on the board last week…..()
These factors can be split in to 4 main categories:
1. Physical (genetics, what we inherit from parents)
2. Social/Emotional (friends, family, media)
3. Economic (money- lack of it or lots of it)
4. Environmental (housing, area you live in)
WHAT CAUSES US TO LOOK AND BEHAVE A CERTAIN WAY?
1. Some people believe that all the characteristics of a person are inherited from their parents. Think about your hair colour and eye colour. This is the NATURE argument. Nature is about the genetic influences on our development- think about the phrase- it’s in your genes! Also think about hormones- these are natural too and influence physical growth and development in adolescence- your growth spurt is caused by an increase in activity of hormones in the body. Maturation is a natural process in which human body gradually grows and acquires capacity to attain a variety of skills and abilities through life span.
2. Some people believe that our characteristics are decided by the way that we are brought up or the things around us in the environment- Think about all the things around you that influence you- family, friends, media (TV, film), celebrities- behaviour is therefore learned- we are not born with it. BF Skinner agrees with this theory and says that everything we do is shaped by our experiences- things in the environment influence us and therefore we behave in a certain way
3. Some people believe that nature and nurture can’t be separated- some of our characteristics are inherited and some are learnt- WHAT DO YOU THINK? WHICH IS THE BEST ARGUMENT
-Identify examples of nature and nurture factors that have influenced your own physical growth and development in each of the life stages in the table below- identify a