Hairspray is a cosmetic product generally used on dry hair to hold or to fix a style. Even though hairspray is most girls’ best friend, research shows that the aerosols and alcohols in this product causes harm both to people and the environment. Hairspray has been used my women since the 1940s, but only 30 years ago researchers found out the real danger aerosols can be to our environment. Hairspray causes harm to the environment because of its high-pressured chemicals, it damages hair and skin, and is dangerous because of its potential to create fires. However, over the years, hair spray companies have tried to decrease these harms once they were discovered. Companies have tried to change the formula of hair spray, decrease the amount of alcohols, and make the ingredients more organic. Overall, hair spray may have its good aspects when it comes to cosmetics, but it poses many dangers when you are dealing with the environment and health. When looking back to the 1900s, most people wonder how the women managed to make their hair so voluminous and perfect. This was the work of hairspray, a product that was made in 1943. This was around the time of WWII, where aerosol cans were used to kill bugs. After the war ended, the beauty industry saw the potential these aerosol cans had, and decided to pressurize it using a fluorocarbon or liquefied gas. At first they named this product Spray Net; however in 1950 Helene Curtis started calling it “hairspray”. Hairsprays are fine mists of chemical compound which are sprayed on to the hair to help hold a certain style, which would otherwise deflate. This is possible because the chemicals, or polymer, allow the hair to adhere to each other, and create layers of sticky film when it dries. By 1955 the company was selling their product worldwide. Over the years hairstyles have changed, and so has the amount of hairspray used, the 1960s being the time it was used the most. Now the question remains is, have scientists discovered the...
Bibliography: 1. "Garnier Fructis Hairspray - Better But Not the Best - Garnier Fructis Full Control Hairspray All Day Flexible Hold Strong - Epinions.com." Reviews from Epinions. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Sept. 2010. .
2. "Harmful Hairspray?." alive. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Sept. 2010. .
3. Tips, Green Living. "Hair products and the environment." Green living tips. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Sept. 2010. .
4. "Benefits of the CFC Phaseout | Ozone Layer Protection | US EPA." US Environmental Protection Agency. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Sept. 2010. .
5. "2009 February 27 « portland doula * prenatal nutrition & yoga." portland doula * prenatal nutrition & yoga. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Sept. 2010. .
6. Tips, and Tricks. "Reviewed and recommended: Jonathon Product Finish Control High Shine Flexible Hairspray." Truth In Aging - The honest truth about beauty and personal care products. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Sept. 2010. .
7. "How to Choose the Right Hairspray." HairStyles - Haircuts , Hair Styles and Hair Care tips from BecomeGorgeous.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Sept. 2010. .
Please join StudyMode to read the full document