Beowulf Reading Questions
Important Places and People
The Wrath of Grendel
1. What angered Grendel?
2. What do the scops (minstrels) in Herot sing about?
3. Who were Grendel’s parents?
4. What did Grendel find when he entered Herot? What did he do?
5. How did Hrothgar and his people react?
6. Who were the only survivors?
7. How long was Herot empty?
8. What object did Grendel never touch? Why?
9. How did the Danes sometimes try to solve their problems with Grendel? What advice does the author give about this?
The Coming of Beowulf
1. Who was Beowulf?
2. What does Beowulf do when he hears of Grendel’s attacks?
3. What did Beowulf and his men do when they landed safely?
4. Who met Beowulf and his men when they came ashore? What did he ask?
5. What were some of Beowulf’s accomplishments?
6. What does Beowulf request of Hrothgar?
7. How will Beowulf fight Grendel?
8. What does Beowulf request Hrothgar do if he (Beowulf) is defeated?
9. How does Beowulf say the battle will be decided?
The Battle with Grendel
1. What is different about Herot on this night when Grendel arrives?
2. What did Grendel find in the hall? What was his reaction?
3. Who was watching Grendel as he attacked the first warrior?
4. When Grendel grabbed Beowulf, what happened?
5. Why were the Geats’ swords useless against Grendel?
6. What did Beowulf do to Grendel’s arm? What did Grendel do then?
7. What did Beowulf do with Grendel’s arm?
The Monster’s Lair
1. Who tries to revenge Grendel’s death?
2. Where does Grendel’s mother live?
3. What will Hrothgar’s reward with if he defeats Grendel’s mother?
The Battle with Grendel’s Mother
1. What did Beowulf ask Hrothgar to do if he was defeated?
2. How long did it take Beowulf to find the bottom of the lake?
3. How long had Grendel’s mother ruled...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document