1. Demeter is the daughter of Cronos and Rhea.
2. Demeter is the goddess of fertility, harves, and mother earth.
3. Demeter taught humans how to till the ground.
4. Demeter is nourishing earth.
5. She has five siblings: Poseidon, Hades, Hestia, Hera, and Zeus.
6. She has seven children: Persephone, Zagreus, Desponis, Arion, Plutus, Amphiteus, and
7. Her daughter Persephone was taken away by Hades.
8. No one knew were Persephone was.
9. Abandoning her work, Demeter searched all over the world for Persephone.
10. Demeter and Zeus were married.
11. Poseidon was in love with Demeter.
12. To get away from Poseidon, Demeter turned into a mare.
13. While a mare, she had a child horse named Arion.
14. Arion talked and had human feet.
15. Demeter is immortal.
16. De means earth and meter means mothering in Greek. Together it makes mother earth.
17. Demeter’s symbols are a torch, a sheaf of wheat, or a barley.
18. She is invokes as the “bringer of seasons”.
19. She gave the health-giving cycle of life and death.
20. She was a preserver of marriage.
McCaughrean, Geraldine. Greek Gods and Goddesses. New York: Margaret K. .
McElderry Books, 1997.
Viver, Frederique. Greek Mythology. Paris: Moliere, 2005.
Daly, Kathleen. Greek and Roman Mythology A to Z. New York: Facts on File, Inc, 1992.
Wikipedia. “Demeter” 2009. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/demeter (15 Nov. 2009).
Greek Gods and Goddess Project.