Who and what is a civil engineer:
• Civil Engineering is the practice of improving and maintaining the built and natural environments to increase the quality of life for present and future generations. A Civil Engineer’s job is to design and supervise the construction of essential structures such as: bridges, sport stadiums, office blocks, convention centres, dams, major pipelines and transportation systems.
How do I know Civil Engineering is for me?
• Want a career which makes extensive use of science and technology? • Want to make a contribution to protecting our natural environment? • Want to improve the quality of life for all South Africans? • Want to participate in projects which will contribute to the long term development of South Africa? • If you have answered to yes to some of the above, Civil Engineering is for you.
• School subjects should include: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and English
Where to study:
• University of Witwatersrand
• University of Limpopo
• University of Cape Town
• University of Stellenbosch
Bursaries Offered 2010/2011
Member of the S.A. Association of Consulting Engineers, Jones & Wagener is pleased to offer a limited number of bursaries for Civil Engineering, limited to approximately R65000 per year for the 2011 academic year.
Bursaries for WK Construction now available. 650 bursaries available.
Murray and Roberts are also offering bursaries for students going into a BSc, B Eng or B Tech qualifications
CETA (Construction Education and Training Authority) are also offering bursaries 2011.
Why I chose this career?
• I chose this career because I like to spend time outside, like to design and construct things and use my time constructively. • Science is my favourite school subject.
Branches of Civil Engineering
Civil Engineering careers may be pursued in a specialised field or in general terms: Examples of specialised fields include:
• Structural: Bridges, Roads, Towers
• Transportation: Roads, Traffic control, Airports
• Water: Dams, Pipelines, Purification
• Geotechnical: Foundations, Excavations and Fills
• Construction: Construction of Projects
• Urban: Municipal Services, Development and Maintenance of Towns • Railway and harbour: Railway network, Harbour Facilities • Environmental: Impact Studies, Social and Natural Environments • Informatics: Data Capturing, computers for enhancing civil engineering activities
• R185 000 – R550 000
Macdonald and Company - Johannesburg, Gauteng - R355001 - 550000 per year Civil Engineer, Construction Manager, M&E Building Services Engineer, Structural Engineer, Civils PM Salary Range : R355,001 - R550,000 Consultant name : Consultant office : Johannesburg
Civil Structural Engineer
Civil Structural Engineer Being a core part of all Civil Engineering work on the project. Good Industrial Experience on large projects.
Bros Recruitment Group - Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape
Our client a leading Civil Contractor is looking for a Contract Manager/Site Agent in Port Elizabeth. Requirements: 1. B.Ing Degree or B.Sc Ing degree 2. Programs: CCS & EMWIN & MS Project 3. Contractual knowledge: GCC &...
Civil Engineer - Technologist (Geometrics) - Cape Town
Cape Town, Western Cape
• Eligibility for professional registration would be advantageous, although preferred • Minimum of 8 years experience in the Transport environment with distinct geometric design skills • Sound understanding of stormwater...
CIVIL ENGINEER - GEOTECHNICAL (Pretoria)
Career Consignment Solutions cc - Pretoria, Gauteng
Senior Geotechnical Engineer Qualifications/Skills: Formal Qualification • BEng...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document