Gender Inequality

Topics: Gender, Poverty, Social status Pages: 6 (1758 words) Published: December 4, 2012
The disparity between genders is an issue that has been discussed thoroughly and at great lengths all around the world. For the longest time, women, whom society perceives as the weaker sex, have been struggling to be recognized and be given the same rights that have been accorded to men. Over the years, these attempts have been rewarded and women are now enjoying their emancipation. This is especially true when it comes to education. However, average or less fortunate families in some countries do not have the capacity to send all their children to school due to monetary reasons.

This paper aims to establish the difference in gender inequality between two social statuses in the Philippines. Also, it aims to contribute to existing literature regarding the relationship of gender inequality and economic growth which may be considered in establishing gender related policies . A survey was conducted to both affluent families and the less fortunate ones, determining the highest level of education that both male and female was able to achieve. Their jobs and earnings were also looked into to discover the congruence of their education to their capacity to contribute to the economy.

In conclusion, the survey showed that children from affluent families do not experience discrimination when it comes to education. 65% of the male have high-paying jobs while 30% own their own business. Only 5% is currently not working. 25% of the the females, on the other hand, have their own business, 50% have well-paying jobs while the other 25% is currently unemployed. 90% of the male from the average and less fortunate group are employed and only 10% are not working. 65% of the females are employed while the remaining 35% are not. Word Count: 287

2. Body
2.1 Gender Inequality and Education
2.2 Gender Inequality and Poverty
2.3 Gender Inequality in the Philippines
3. Conclusion
4.Reference and Bibliography

The advent of modern technology has brought about a lot of changes in people's lives. From a simple lifestyle, the standard of living was catapulted to greater heights and established a much improved living condition for most people all over the world. However, despite all these improvements, gender inequality remains a big challenge for women in all parts of the globe. These inequalities are fundamentally unfair and as such, should be erradicated in the society.

Women have gone a long way in fighting gender inequality which has put them (the women) at a great disadvantage. Through the years, some successes were obtained and are now being exercised. One of them, and is considered the most important, is the right to vote. There is also the right to stand for election, the right to receive equal pay for doing the same job that men do, and the right for education and health. Despite all these, progress has been slow and limited for women in very poor countries, for those who are poor even amid greater wealth, and for those who face other forms of exclusion for various reasons. An outstanding reason that is seen in this persisting disparity is the lack of education for women.

In a Third World country like the Philippines, the gap in social status between the rich and the poor is highly noticeable. This difference is also evident in the education of male and female from both social classes. While children from wealthy families are more likely to have easy access to education, this is not the same scenario that can be observed on people belonging to the other class. To determine the prevailing gender disparity in terms of education in two social classes in the Philippines, the research question "what is the difference in gender inequality in terms of education between two social economic status in the Philippines?" was constructed.

Gender Inequality and Education
Education play a very important role in the development of an individual. It is by...

Bibliography: [ 5 ]. Al-Mahdi Ssenkabirwa. Uganda: Gender Inequality Still a Challenge in Education - Report. January 16, 2012.
[ 6 ]
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • gender inequality occurs everywhere Essay
  • Gender inequality in the world Essay
  • Essay on inequality
  • Education and Gender Equality Essay
  • Gender Inequality Gender Essay
  • Gender inequality Essay
  • Gender Equality in Malaysia Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free