September 21, 2013
Week 2: Assignment 2 – Gathering Evidence and Evaluating Resources
Example of evaluating a source:
Subject 1: Gun control attitudes in the United States.
Source: Celinska, K. (2007). Individualism and collectivism in america: The case of gun ownership and attitudes toward gun control. Sociological Perspectives, 50(2), 229-247. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/213988090?accountid=41759.
1. Authority- 9.5- Author is currently an assistant professor at John Jay College. Author is associated with groups such as the American and European Society of Criminology. She has a PhD in Sociology and an MS in Law.
2. Accuracy- 9- Article has a huge number of references and statistics; also it’s supported by the National Institute of Mental Health.
3. Currency- 7- Article was originally written or copy written in 2007, which means statistics could have changed, along with opinions or beliefs or studies on the subject.
Subject 2: Managing time in today's society.
Source: Average Americans Sleep Too Much, Says Bureau Of Labor Statistics. Where Are They, And What Is Their Secret? by Brianna Roglin on http://www.blisstree.com/2012/09/24/sex-relationships/sleep/americans-get-too-much-sleep-says-bureau-of-labor-statistics-889.
1. Authority- 5- Author is Deputy Editor of Blisstree.com, and wrote for Oyster Hotel Reviews, although, the writing does seem blog type.
2. Accuracy- 7- Article has small statistical chart from Bureau of Labor Statistics; no other solid references.
3. Currency- 7- Article is only 12 months old, although the statistical chart which is the basis of the article is from 2010.
Subject 3: Pursuing a college degree.
Source: Pursuing a master’s degree: Opportunity cost and benefits by Allison Bone on http://www.faculty.de.gcsu.edu/~mtiryaki/masters.pdf