Leung On Ying Joanne
Mr. Piers Justin Alban VOKINS
3 December 2015
ELTU 1002 English Communication for University Studies
Research-Based Expository Essay
Food Waste Problem in Hong Kong:
The current situation and the possible solutions
Renowned as the Food Paradise, people all over the world come to Hong Kong for the food here. This definitely creates lots of economics benefits for Hong Kong. Nevertheless, this makes the problem of food waste ever more serious. As mentioned by the Environmental Protection Department, “In recent years, the amount of food waste arising from the C&I sectors has increased steadily: from less than 400 tonnes per day in 2002 to over 800 tonnes per day in 2012. (Environmental Protection Department)”The Green Power also indicates “Among the annual 3,500 tonnes of food waste in Hong Kong, 70% is domestic food waste and the remaining 30% is industrial waste. In fact, the volume of municipal solid waste has declined slightly, by 0.3% from 2008 to 2011. Yet, the volume of food waste has increased by 20%. (Green Power, 2013). Not only does Hong Kong face the problem, but also countries all over the world. It is of paramount importance for our government to put more effort on solving the problem. Therefore, in this essay, I will be first discussing the drawbacks brought by generating too much leftover and end by suggesting some feasible solutions on different education work, the food recycling scheme as well as the waste disposal charge scheme.
Drawbacks brought by food watse
Generating too much food is definitely harmful for our city as there are many disadvantages brought by the problem of food waste. We shall never lose sight of the disadvantages brought by generating too much food waste. Now, I will be discussing one of the drawbacks brought by food waste.
We must all admit that the landfill in Hong Kong is going to be full. “At present, Hong Kong relies solely on landfills for MSW disposal. Despite the concerted efforts to reduce, reuse and recycle, approximately 9000 tonnes of MSW are still discarded in the landfills every day ”(HKEPD, 2010). “It is expected that the current three strategic landfills in Hong Kong, namely South East New Territories (SENT), North East New Territories (NENT), and West New Territories (WENT), will reach their maximum capacities in 2015, 2017, and 2019, respectively ”(Kok Sin Woon, 2013). The increasing number of food waste put a heavy burden on Hong Kong’s limited landfills. More than that, it is harming the environment. “The current practice of disposing of biodegradable food waste at landfills is not sustainable and is environmentally undesirable as it depletes the limited landfill space, creates odour nuisance, generates leachate and landfill gases that require further mitigation measures to deal with, and squanders the useful organic contents. (Environmental Protection Department)” With more and more food waste in Hong Kong, the landfills are going to be full in the coming few years and this will also damage the environment. Therefore, we should think about some solutions to overcome the problem.
Response to the food waste problem, the other members from the society can put efforts in improving the situation while the government can be the biggest facilitator. In the following part, the possible solution will be in three aspects and they are the education work, the food-recycling scheme and the waste disposal charge scheme.
Education and publication are always the best ways to solve problems. We can tackle the problem by fostering citizens the importance of treasuring food. As parents of children, they have huge influence on the behaviour of their children. “Most previous studies have shown a modest correlation between the parents' levels of activity and the child's activity. We found evidence of a somewhat larger influence of parents, the effect of their activity levels being particularly striking in...
Bibliography: Kok Sin WoonM.C. Lo,Irene. (2013/10/21). Analyzing environmental hotspots of proposed landfill extension and advanced incineration facility in Hong Kong using life cycle assessment.
MPH Lynn L. MooreDavid A. Lombardi, MS Mary Jo White, MS James L. Campbell*, MPH Susan A. Oliveria, MD R. Curtis EllisonMS. (1990/4/20). Influence of parents ' physical activity levels on activity levels of young children .
Green Power . (2013/6). Hong Kong 's “Zero Food Waste." . http://www.greenpower.org.hk/html/eng/2013_6.shtml
Food For Good
DinanM.Terry. (2002/4 /26). Economic Efficiency Effects of Alternative Policies for Reducing Waste Disposal.
Please join StudyMode to read the full document