The purpose is to identify and know the major anatomical and physiological features of the dissected fetal pig. Another purpose is to comprehend the relationship between structure and function in the body and relate concepts to the structures found in the fetal pig. We must recognize how the different systems in the body work together and develop so the body maintains in homeostasis.
Fetal pig, dissecting kit, safety goggles, latex gloves and paper towels.
1. Place the fetal pig ventral side up in the dissecting tray and determine its sex.
2. Tie a string around a front limb. Run the string under the tray, pull it tight, and tie it to the other front limb. Repeat this procedure with the hind limbs to hold the legs apart so you can examine internal structures.
3. Study the fetal pig dissecting diagram and start the dissection with your dissecting equipment.
4. Be sure to keep the tips of your scissors pointed upward because a deep cut will destroy the organs below. Also, remember to cut away from yourself.
5. After you have made your incisions through the body wall, you will see the peritoneum, a thin layer of tissue that lines the body cavity. Cut through the peritoneum along the incision lines.
6. Spread the flaps of the body wall apart. Cut the umbilical vein, which extends through the liver.
7. Once the vein is cut, carefully pull the flap of skin, including the end of the umbilical cord between the hind legs. You are now able to see the organs of the abdominal cavity.
8. Identify all the organs with labels and take some pictures for the blog.
Conclusion: The dissection of the fetal pig was nicely done and the main purpose was fulfilled. In high school I dissected a frog, so I have a little experience in dissecting and what I have to do. The success of the dissection was reached by preparation, motivation and interest in the subject. It is impossible to show how much I learned by the dissection of