Reading Response # 1
1. Summarize the main points of this paper. You can write them in bullet points. What I am looking for is what YOU thought were the key points in this paper.
• This paper focused on attachment theory and the impact of close relationships on psychological development.
• Children vary considerably by which attachment security remains individually consistent over time – studies have found both change and consistency in attachment classification. Theorists have agreed that early attachment experiences are important, yet they can be transformed by later experiences.
• The reasons as to WHY there are individual continuity or change of attachment relationships are more unknown. For example: changes in family stresses and living conditions can lead to changes in familiar patterns or changes. Changes in quality of parental care (e.g. security in firstborn children decreased significantly following the birth of a new sibling.
• Parental sensitivity initiates a secure attachment, but maintenance is necessary to sustain that security as the child matures.
• Internal working models of children change overtime, the theory of mind is greatly in play here.
• The quality of parent-child interactions is important in the course of …show more content…
The paper covered many major theories regarding attachment. With studies on continuity and change the writer expressed both evidence for change and consistency found, yet theorists agreed that early attachment experiences are important yet they can be later transformed by experiences. For example, in class we talked about how an infant can have an insecure attachment with the mother but down the road the infant/child can then form a secure attachment with another caregiver (e.g. Father or Grandparent). This secure attachment can help the child function better and form secure attachments while decreasing the risk of depression and anxiety in later