Faculty Merit Raises

Topics: Tenure, Human resource management, Professor Pages: 6 (1370 words) Published: March 12, 2014

Upon reading the case study on allocating the merit raises among the professors at Small State University, I have decided to use the attribute approach. The attribute approach is defined by Human Resource Management: Gaining a Competitive Advantage as: “ Focusing on the extent to which individuals have certain attributes (characteristics or traits) believed desirable for the company’s success. The techniques that use this approach define a set of traits-such as initiative, leadership, and competitiveness- and evaluate individuals on them.” (Noe, Hollenbeck, Gerhart, & Wright, 2013 pps.354-5) Based on the definition provided the attributes or traits that were most desirable by the University were teaching, research, and service. Teaching and research are considered to be more important than service to the University. Knowing that the university placed great measures on this I decided to use the graphic rating scales to determine how the raises should be disbursed. With the graphic scale I used the three primary measures as stated by the University, which were: teaching, research, and service, and evaluated it on a five-point rating scale. Professors were already graded on this area and I just added a numeric value: Far Exceeds (5), Exceeds (4), Meets (3), Fails to Meet (0) New Hire (0). Once each professor was graded his or her scores were averaged to obtain their merit award.

Professor
Teaching
Research
Service
Merit Award
Houseman
Exceeds (4)
Exceeds (4)
Meets (3)
4
Jones
Exceeds (4)
Far Exceeds (5)
Exceeds (4)
4
Ricks
Meets (3)
Meets (3)
Far Exceeds (5)
4
Matthews
New Hire (0)
New Hire (0)
New Hire (0)
0
Karas
Far Exceeds (5)
Exceeds (4)
Meets (3)
4
Franks
Meets (3)
Fails to Meet (0)
Exceeds (4)
2

Before dispensing out the merit awards based on the professors’ performance. I decided to implement a new policy. This policy will be put into effective immediately due to wide range in salaries of the professors at the University. The new policy states the following rules in regards to the performance appraisal and merit awards for professors at Small State University: 1. Each professor at the University performance will be reviewed and appraised six months from the date of hire, upon completion of the probationary period at 12months, and annually thereafter. The annual anniversary date of hire or promotion will serve as the basis for the appraisal period. 2. Appraisal should be used as tools to encourage communication between professors and their direct supervisors. Evaluation interviews should also be used as a time to discus career development potential and advancement goals with employees (ex. Department Chair, Dean of the College, etc.) 3. There will be a direct link between salary and wage increases and annual performance evaluations through a merit increase. Professors that have not reached the maximum pay rate within the salary rate will be eligible for a merit pay increase of 0%-5%. Merit pay increases will not exceed the top of the pay range of the employee. Professors who would be eligible for a 4% or 5% merit increase due to an overall performance rating of Far Exceeds Standards, and who are at the top of their pay range or would exceed the top of their pay range with the implementation of the merit increase, will be eligible for a lump sum payment of up to 1% of their base pay. The lump sum payment will not exceed the amount the merit increase would have provided if the employee were not at the top of the range. The maximum lump sum bonus will be limited to 0.5% for an overall score of 4% and 1% for an overall score of 5%. Also effective immediately in conjunction with the policy is the new Pay Scale for employees of the university: Profession

Minimum Pay Rate
Midpoint Pay Rate
Maximum Pay Rate
1 (Administrative)
$ 30,000
$45,000
$55,000
2 (Professors)
$60,000
$85,000
$110,000
3 (Department Chairs)
$ 115,000
$130,000
$150,000
4...


References: Gerhart, B., Hollenbeck, J., Noe, R. , & Wright, P. (2013) Human Resource
Management Gaining a Competitive Advantage. New York: McGraw-Hill Irwin
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Essay about “Allocating Merit Raise” Case Analysis
  • Faculty Essay
  • Essay on Faculty Interview
  • Essay on Faculty Interview1
  • Faculty Interview Essay
  • Seniority and Merit Pay Essay
  • Faculty Interview Essay
  • Raise the Age Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free