1. What is cell membrane made of? How does the composition (lipid, protein, cholesterol) of the membrane help with role that cell membrane plays?
2. What are organelles?
3. Can you identify organelles in the image below? Can you describe their functions?
1. The inner lining of lungs and gut that come in contact with oxygen and food are examples of
a. Epithelial tissue
b. Connective tissue
c. Muscle tissue
d. Nerve tissue
2. Connective tissue is a solid tissue. Justify your answer
3. Name 2 diseases associated with malfunctioning of connective tissue.
4. Discuss type and functions of muscle tissue, compare and contrast different ways muscle gets energy.
5. What are different components of neuron and their function? Can you name a disease state which affects nerve tissue?
6. How does message travel within a neuron, how does it travel from one neuron to another?
7. In the figure above label synapse, where is neurotransmitter released?
8. Name a few neurotransmitters.
9. What is the difference between curare and botox?
Transport mechanism in the cells:
1. COMPARE/CONTRAST the kinds of transport
Active or Passive
What does it use to help? Membrane proteins? Vesicles? Needs no help?
Example of substances that use this kind of transport in cells
2. Name one disease associated with saturated transporter.
3. Can you list two diseases that can be treated by manipulating transporters?
How cells communicate:
Organ of Origin
A 50 year old housewife complains of progressive weight gain of 20 pounds in 1 year, fatigue, slight memory loss, slow speech, dry skin, constipation, and cold intolerance. In terms of hormonal imbalalnce what do you think is wrong with her?
Case When a 42