Exam # 1 Review Questions*
Introduction chapter, Globalization (PPT), “Guns, Germs, and Steel” (video).
1. What is geography?
2. Which of the following statements best defines environmental determinism?
3. Which of the following statements best defines possibilism?
4. Which of the following statements illustrates environmental determinism?
5. Which of the following statements illustrates possibilism?
6. Which of the following examples best defines the role of the environment in culture?
7. According to the definition used by geographers, a region is:
8. Which of the following is not a major characteristic of a region as defined by geographers?
9. Alfred Wegener's supercontinent is known as:
10. The process by which a tectonic plate consisting of less heavy rock rides up over a heavier plate is known as:
11. The current interglacial period is known as the:
12. Which water body is surrounded by a geologically-active Ring of Fire:
13. Which of the following locations is not one of the world's great population clusters?
14. Which of the following statements concerning the world's most widely distributed language family is incorrect?
15. A bridge language of national politics, commerce, and trade is known as a(n):
16. Which statement below best characterizes the concept of culture?
17. The downtown of an American city, which is usually characterized by a square-grid layout, is called the:
18. States first began to develop:
19. Which of the following statements best defines the concept of globalization?
20. In his book, “The global imperative” (1997), Robert Clark mentions that “Today’s globalization process differs from earlier times in [several] ways. Which of the following in not one of the processes he mentions in his book?
21. Which of the following is not an example of globalization?
22. The gradual reduction of regional contrasts resulting from increasing cultural, economic, political and other