Multiple Choice: Highlight or Bold the correct answer to each question.
1.Between the year 2010 and 2050, the proportion of the U.S. population that is Black, Hispanic, Asian, and Native American will likely a.triple.
c.stay the same.
d.increase from 36% to 54%.
2.Which term is used to describe a group that is set apart from others primarily because of its national origin or distinctive cultural patterns? a.social group
3.Which term is used by sociologists to describe a group that is set apart from others because of obvious physical differences? a.social group
4.Who was the first African American to earn a doctorate from Harvard? a.James Blackwell
c.W.E.B. Du Bois
d.William J. Wilson
5.A sociological approach introduced by Howard Becker that attempts to explain why certain people are viewed as deviants and others engaging in the same behavior are not refers to a.contact hypothesis.
6.In sociology, minority refers to the
7.The tendency to assume that one’s culture & way of life are superior to all others is known as a.cultural relativism.
a.a negative attitude, not behavior.
b.aimed at individuals, not groups.
c.negative behavior, not an attitude.
d.based on accurate definitions.
9. The process by which an individual gives up his or her own cultural tradition to become part of a different culture is known as a.amalgamation.
10. Pluralism refers to the existence of
a.one homogeneous culture.
c.diverse cultures co-existing in the same society.
11. Stereotypes are generalizations about all members of a group that a. are unreliable.
b. are exaggerated.
c. do not take individual differences into account.
d. all of these
12. Federal guidelines bar federal agents from using race and ethnicity as a reason for investigating someone, but cases involving __________ are exempted. a. terrorism
c. national economic interests
d. military personnel
13.When White respondents are asked how Whites get along with different minority groups, which group do they say they have the most difficulty getting along with? a.African Americans
14. When Black respondents are asked how they get along with different minority groups, which group do they say they have the least difficulty getting along with? a.Whites
15.Which of the following states that interracial interaction between people with equal status in cooperative circumstances will cause them to become less prejudiced and to abandon previously held stereotypes? a.the contact hypothesis
b.the self-fulfilling prophecy
c.the anomie theory of deviance
d.the exploitation theory of race relations
16.Studies document that increased formal education, regardless of content, is associated with: a.increased prejudice.
17.The denial of opportunities and equal rights to individuals and groups for prejudices or other arbitrary reasons is a.prejudice.
18. Conforming to a belief that language and practices which could offend political sensibilities (as in matters of sex or race) should be eliminated refers to a.political correctness.
b.the contact hypothesis.
c.the definition of a situation.
19.The concept respectable bigotry refers to
a.poor Whites’ hostility toward African Americans.
b.African American and Puerto Rican hostility toward one another. c.prejudice against White ethnics.
d.the government’s attitudes toward racial and ethnic minorities.
20.The charge that affirmative action programs unfairly penalize White males leads to the view of a.ethnocentrism.
d.secondary labor market.
21. The Irish were once thought to be worse than freed Blacks by privileged New Englanders because a. the Irish were usually Protestants.
b. Blacks “knew their place.”
c. the Irish drank too much alcohol.
d. they brought money and political power with them when they immigrated.
22._______ is the largest single source of ancestry of people in the United States today. a.England
23.De jure segregation is
d. embedded in the constitution
24.In 2010, the majority of immigrants admitted into America were admitted because of a.Employment
c.Relation to a U.S. citizen
25.Which of the following immigration policies targeted Southern Europeans? a.Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 b.Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986
c.National origin system, 1921
d.Immigration and Nationality Act, 1965
26.Which of the following is NOT a condition to become a naturalized U.S. citizen? a.Pass a test in U.S. government and history
b.Be at least 21 years old
c.Have continually resided in the U.S. for at least 5 years (3 for spouse of a citizen) d.Be able to read, write, speak, and understand the English language
27.Gerontocracy is common in _______ societies.
28._______ argues that society must disengage elders from important roles, passing responsibilities from one generation to the next. a.Disengagement theory
c.Social conflict approach
29.According to Schaefer, a 2011 national survey shows that ___ percent of the nation favors the concept of legal marriage for same-sex couples. a.76
30. The release of people from mental hospitals into local communities is known as a.Re-institutionalization
31. The ADA guarantees equal opportunity for individuals with disabilities in a.public accommodations
b.state and local government services
d.all of the above
32. Someone born during the marked rise in birthrate immediately following the end of World War II is known as a a.Generation X-er
c. Generation Y-er
33. Assimilation is
a.a socio-historical process by which racial categories are created, inhibited, transformed, and destroyed b.the physical separation of two groups, often imposed on a subordinate group by the dominant group c. mutual respect for one another’s culture
d.the process by which a subordinate individual or group takes on the characteristics of the dominant group
34. White privilege is
a.any police-initiated action based on race, ethnicity, or national origin rather than a person’s behavior b.action that penalizes better-qualified White men in favor of women and minority men c. rights or immunities granted as a particular benefit or favor for being White d. a doctrine that one race is superior to others
35. The barrier that blocks the promotion of a qualified worker because of gender or minority membership is known as the a.glass ceiling
c. glass elevator
d. glass staircase
36. The trend since 1970 in which women account for a growing proportion of those who live below the poverty line is known as a.displaced homemakers
b.feminization of poverty
c. sexual equalization
d. competitive advantage
37. Sinophobes are people with a fear of anything associated with a.China
38. Which of the following is a potential benefit of immigration? a.Provide needed skills
b.Contribute to taxes
c. Diversify the population
d. All of the above
39. Which of the following is a potential concern of immigration? a.Population growth
c. Send remittances home
d. All of the above
40. Approximately _____ percent of illegal immigrant workers pay taxes of one type or another. a.5